Author Topic: 12/02/2017  (Read 6399 times)

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
12/02/2017
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Marvin and I went to San Carlos Saturday. Unlike what Dave and Tommy experienced at Roosevelt the weather was uncommonly stable. We launched at safe light and put the boat back on the trailer as the sun was setting. The wind never blew harder than 3 mph all day and 90% of the day the lake was like glass. We boated 26 fish with 18 of them being keeper crappie. (5) were jumbo's over 2 lb.  with (1) exceeding 2.5 lbs. (10) were in 1.75 range and (3) smaller ones that we kept 1 lb. swallowed the hook and would not of survived if released. There was more water than we thought there would be and launch ramp is definitely useable. We caught 1/3 of the fish trolling double jigs with minnow's and the other 2/3 drop shotting. Fish were not concentrated at all. We would pull up to a spot and 2-3 fish then nothing. Move and same thing 2-3 fish. We hit one stretch of shore were we picked up 5 fish. It got to be a joke when I would say Marvin where is the next hot spot. However every where we tried (except for 1 or 2 spots) we would pick up a couple of fish. We caught fish in 8" foot of water and 24 foot of water. The best depth seemed in the 15 to 18 foot. There was probably 6 boats at the launch when we came in but we only spoke to one boat and they had caught "a couple" but did not share more than that. We primarily fished the coves and points across from the launch with the points being the better producer. Depth at the dam was 35 feet. It was not like the good ole days, we worked hard for our catch. It was nice to see good size fish all the way down to 8"

Offline CamFisher

Re: 12/02/2017
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for the report!  Was there a particular jig color combination that worked better than others?  When you say "drop shot", are you referring to the same technique of drop-shotting that a lot of guys do when bass fishing?  Thanks for the info again!!!

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Thanks for the report!  Was there a particular jig color combination that worked better than others?  When you say "drop shot", are you referring to the same technique of drop-shotting that a lot of guys do when bass fishing?  Thanks for the info again!!!

Cam,

Dropshotting is the same as spider-rigging.  Sometimes if the fish are tight to the bottom you can bottom bounce with that rig but most of the time your 12-18' down in open water trying to catch suspended fish.  Another rig is the Capps and Coleman rig.  That one works well also. Just google Kentucky rig or C-n-C rig and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Great report and day on the water M and M boys.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline CamFisher

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11 AM »
Thanks IAMMAC for the additional information.  I am familiar with spider rigging and did not know that drop shot was the same thing.  When I was taught to "drop shot" it involved a robo worm with a 14" leader to a weight.  I will need to look into that "Coleman rig" as well.  I need to try at SC again in the next week or two.  I went a few weeks back and had a lot of success.  I either got lucky or figured them out that day...or a little bit of both.  I am curious if and how the bite has changed with this new colder weather.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I beg to differ with you Mac, drop-shotting is not at all the same as spider-rigging! My drop-shot rig is the same as my bass drop-shot set-up. I use a openfaced spinning rod with 8 lb. hi-vis Berkley Fireline as the main line and a 6 lb. fluorocarbon leader. I use a #4 Gamakatsu drop-shot hook 18 to 24 inches above a 1/8th ounce drop-shot weight. The hook is then tipped with a minnow. ....Art

Piscolli

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Spider Rigging is term used in the south where they use multiple long rods off the front of the boat.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Thanks IAMMAC for the additional information.  I am familiar with spider rigging and did not know that drop shot was the same thing.  When I was taught to "drop shot" it involved a robo worm with a 14" leader to a weight.  I will need to look into that "Coleman rig" as well.  I need to try at SC again in the next week or two.  I went a few weeks back and had a lot of success.  I either got lucky or figured them out that day...or a little bit of both.  I am curious if and how the bite has changed with this new colder weather.

I spider rig with the drop shot set up but use two hooks instead of one.  If I were to be directly over a bush and had the rod in my hand it would be drop shotting but with a16' rod instead of the traditional bass rod.  I am constantly moving so it is a drop-shot of sorts if you will.  I am usually using a 1/2-3/4 ounce bass casting sinker and two #2 mustad Aberdeen hooks.  I also have a bass rod rigged with the traditional bass set up just in case.  Cut and paste this link and you'll see the difference between the C-n-C rig and the Kentucky Rig.  I don't ever use a three way swivel and just tie loop knots. 

Art, when are you available to make it to the lake.  My schedule is kind of crazy right now but I can get out during the week.  I know we tried to plan an outing before but it didn't materialize. 

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/tennessee/25812d1237173635-fishing-rigs-kentucky-lake-fishing-rigs-jpg
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:01 PM by IAMMAC »

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Mac, give me a call and we'll try to work out a date. My cell is on the 911 list. ......Art

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54 PM »
thst would explaine me jigging a treble hook kastmaster off the bottom for an hour without getting hung up once.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal