Author Topic: San Carlos 12/10/17  (Read 8012 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
San Carlos 12/10/17
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Followed the tips of Mark and Marv and fished San Carlos with Ray today. Weather was really exceptional, only issue was the wind picked up at about 2 PM so my rig was bouncing too much.  We launched at 8am and fished till 3 PM. I fished the front of the boat with two 16 foot poles vertical trolling rig 2 minnow 1oz.   Would catch one or two fish then move and catch one or two more. Couldn’t seem to find the hot spot.  Kept 9 threw back 4. Caught a couple 14 1/2” jumbos.  Fished from 6 foot to 16 foot wherever the graph told me. Permits available on the Circle K on Ash Street just heading out of Globe.  We had the whole lake to ourselves until about 1 PM we finally saw another boat. Couldn’t believe how quiet it was there. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: San Carlos 12/10/17
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Thanks for the report Matt, probably with people catching crappie again at Rosy everyone has switched back from Carlos to Rosy :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:11 PM »
.... probably with people catching crappie again at Rosy everyone has switched back from Carlos to Rosy :dontknow:
Even Bartlet now too.  Saw a recent post on an unmentionable social media site of some guys catching crappie there.  Think if Alamo starts up we'll have that lake as well for the out-west folks to go to.  And that doesn't even include Pleasant you could send a report from there next time you go, right?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:54 AM »
.... probably with people catching crappie again at Rosy everyone has switched back from Carlos to Rosy :dontknow:
Even Bartlet now too.  Saw a recent post on an unmentionable social media site of some guys catching crappie there.  Think if Alamo starts up we'll have that lake as well for the out-west folks to go to.  And that doesn't even include Pleasant you could send a report from there next time you go, right?

Matt all my fishing at Pleasant has been fish X XX and XXX lg. mouths, whites and stripers have not been targeting the crappie
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline CamFisher

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I just fished San Carlos on 12/14.  Depth of lake dropped 2 ft since last month I fished it and temp was obviously colder (54-56 degrees)...which is why I think I wasn't as productive this time around.  Only caught 5.  Two other boats on the water, one did a little better than me and were tightlining minnows and the other did worse- jigs.  I was slow trolling jigs the same as I did last month when it was warmer, but had far less success this time around.  I need to adjust for this colder weather.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:59 PM »
All but one of our fish were caught off the front of the boat. Were you fishing long poles off the front? Or fishing sides or back?

Offline CamFisher

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Hello OneBlade, I was long lining dual jigs out the back/sides with around 40 ft of line out.  This worked well a month ago but not so well the other day.  I was going to blame the weather...but perhaps it was me.  You got any advice?  I never tried minnows, as those are difficult to pick up a head of time- so I use jigs until the soda springs store starts carrying them again.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Hello OneBlade, I was long lining dual jigs out the back/sides with around 40 ft of line out.  This worked well a month ago but not so well the other day.  I was going to blame the weather...but perhaps it was me.  You got any advice?  I never tried minnows, as those are difficult to pick up a head of time- so I use jigs until the soda springs store starts carrying them again.
Oh well if you caught fish without minnows then you do better than I do.  My guess is minnows was the biggest difference followed by weather.  The other thing is depth of your jigs.  Unsure what the depths of your lines are.  That depends on line type, any additional weights you have on, jig head weights, etc.  How confident are you where your jigs are at vs where your fish finder shows fish?  My lines off fronts are near vertical and I'm locked into particular depths I see the fish at on my finder.... maybe a little higher.

Minnows these days are a hassle.  The guy on Greenfield and US60 no longer selling them although I ping him occasionally.  Liars Corner is your best option always available but you need to get them the day before they close or expect to not leave town until 8am I think when they open.  There's gotta be a place in Globe people get minnows, I just don't know where that is.

Piscolli

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50 PM »
I just fished San Carlos on 12/14.  Depth of lake dropped 2 ft since last month I fished it and temp was obviously colder (54-56 degrees)...which is why I think I wasn't as productive this time around.  Only caught 5.  Two other boats on the water, one did a little better than me and were tightlining minnows and the other did worse- jigs.  I was slow trolling jigs the same as I did last month when it was warmer, but had far less success this time around.  I need to adjust for this colder weather.

High jacked. We would like new fishing reports in new threads. Please see and thank you for being a part of azcrappie:
http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php?topic=2272.msg16703#msg16703

Offline CamFisher

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:48 AM »
-makes sense.  I should have reviewed the rules first.   :sign0144:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal