Author Topic: 12-27 Report  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
12-27 Report
« on: December 27, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Absolutely a beautiful day.  Lake level appears to be normal or very close.  The main ramp is open, probably not new news.

On the water about 7:30am.  Did the usual, run to the north shore, well past the buoys.   Slight problem, no tree tops visible (screwed me all up for visual references).

Fished the northside for about 1.5hrs with no bites.  Decided to work our way towards the south shore trolling the whole way.  About 10am, BAM, my dad gets a solid hit and lands a nice 16" crappie.  Couple minutes later he has another and I follow with 2 all in about 15 minutes.  Throw a marker and start working the area.  By 11:30 we had mustered 9 keepers (+12") and released 3 dinks.

Finally it slowed and we moved on picking up 3 more keepers by 1:30pm and decided to call it a day.

Overheard a couple boats talking and weren't having much success.  My guess is that they were not picking up the very light bits.  Only 1 of my 8 fish hit hard.  The rest were more like an active minnow dancing followed by a very slight drag.  I would slowly pull the rod forward then give it slack, when the line went taught you could feel the fish.  Fully expected an awesome day on the water with my dad, the fish were a bonus.

Typical skirted jigs with minnow trailer 1/16oz lead heads.  Neon green, John Deere green, and JD/Orange were the colors.  6-12' deep.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal