Author Topic: Alert: Alamo is in jeopardy  (Read 7624 times)

Offline TRITOON

Alert: Alamo is in jeopardy
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:38 PM »
 The Corp of Engeneers is planning on a devestating drop of lake level at Alamo Lake for what they call required maintenance. This is to replace the gate that was removed late last year. This release of 5000 cfs for 20 days in late February and early March would be very detrimental to the spawn this year and effect the fishing for several years. They were able to remove the gait without a drawdown and divers assured us that putting it back could be done in the same manner.
The Corps is asking for public comments so I implore everyone to voice their disapproval of these actions.
Comments capn be mailed to
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Los Angeles District
ATTN: Pam Kostka, CESPL-RGN-L
Los Angeles, Ca 90017

Or email
Pamela.k.kostka@usace.army.mil

Comments will be taken up to February 10 so send them now and often.
Thanks for the response I know this will bring
GOD BLESS

Offline azbohunter

Re: Alert: Alamo is in jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29 PM »
The craziness of Government continues, when that lake was so close to being in a dire situation because of low water levels for the past several years, we get one great year of moisture in the area to raise the lake to level that offers hope for the future. Now they want to drain it down again when we are in a exceptionally dry year! Only Government agencies seem to be some crazy to do something like this!
Thanks for posting this.. it needs to be shared too. I will post it on AZ Fishing Forum also.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Who wants to make a "form" letter that we can all send in?  I also think that a letter should be sent from each of the officers on behalf of the club.

Offline Metalbndr

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Fished Alamo on Saturday the 13th.  Free day because of the Martin Luther King Holiday. Free was a good bonus to good fishing.

When we got minnows at the store we got the hand out for the Corps Environmental impact statement.  Here is the link.  Please take a few minutes to read it. 

http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/Portals/17/users/117/09/1909/Alamo_dam_PN.pdf?ver=2018-01-09-181714-643

From what I read in there, they plan to take the lake down to the level it was at at the end of 2016 using the water release to clean the silt out of the tunnel under the dam.  If I remember correctly they let out more water that fall to get the lake down and then it rained.  Deja Vu all over again.

The rational is that is the level the lake has to get to for the divers to be able to work without a decompression chamber.  The releases in February are to protect the endangered plants and animals below the dam. 

Since the lake has been this low before they don't see any issues with the fishing (see paragraph 3.2)  The crappie spawn doesn't hold a candle to a few Willow Fly Catchers. Fishing at Alamo is completely off the Corps radar on this.   

What I don't see in the document is if they will stop the draw down at 1085 or if they will lower it more to do the repairs they expect will be required. 

Do we have any old timers that fished in 1990 and would know if the lake was drained for the repairs then?

Unfortunately I don't think we have a snowball's chance in hell to keep this from happening.

My letter to the Corps is to ask that they don't lower the level below the 1085 and that if repairs are necessary that they be performed without draining the lake.

Sorry for the negative analysis but when you read the Environmental statement is clear what their priorities are.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:22 AM »
I fished the lake since it filled with water and it was a bass and bluegill meca I do not remember the lake being completely drained in the 90's? :dontknow: might have been lowered a bunch but not drained that I remember. I know for years g and f and state parks attempted to negotiate with the CORP to increase the minimum pool from 8% to 10 or 12% and the CORP refused to yet the first 5 years the lake was at 35% and was a big lake (the corp said to cure the dam :dontknow:) and it was unbelievable in years past if we got a winter storm approaching when it started to rain in LA (where the CORP) offices are they would start to release from Alamo, someone finally explained to them that not all rain that gets to LA makes it to AZ.

This draw down I fear is a disguise as maintenance (they could flush the spillways and drains in a few hours with big releases.) I am trying to confirm but my suspicion is that the environmental group is pushing for the big releases to wash out the Bill Williams river which they have been pushing for years and they are using the excuse of the "bulk head" and maintenance as an excuse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:24 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:47 AM »
This is the history of Alamo lake level since the dam was finished at no time was the lake drained as you can see not even close in 1990. Maybe Piscolli can turn the graph right side up?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:49 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24 AM »
How about this....  See the attached

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Thanks cousin Larry

Piscolli

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39 AM »
I just emailed Pamela and I hope everyone reading this will also. All I asked is that the draw down doesn't happen during the spawning months of Feb, March and April. Whether our words have an impact or not it is crucial that the CORP hears from us!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:12 AM by Piscolli »

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Keep it up everyone. Mark is getting calls from Pamela today because of the flack coming in to her. A meeting with Mark, G&F, and a bunch of others is being held right now at Wayside to see what else can be done. The letters and calls are really making an impact so well done.
GOD BLESS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal