Author Topic: Spinner Reels For Crappie  (Read 10871 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Spinner Reels For Crappie
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I've got 14 or 15 Shakespeare Sigma 200's and have been using them for many years. They were $19.95 per at Wally World. Oh yea, sorry, they don't make them anymore! ......Art

I have 2 or 3 of those that I got on combo rods for trout fishing when I was in high school. I think I still have 1 of them with string that I occasionally use. It's definitely been my longest last reel.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
Re: Spinner Reels For Crappie
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I also use Shimano for my open face reels.  I have several Zebcos including Omega but I only put fluro or mono in those as the crystal fireline/braid doesn't work as well.  I use crystal fireline/braid for a couple of my open face reels I like the line has no give and easier to pull snags out of trees with that line.

I was having issues with the braided line on my spinner reels. I wasn't able to get it to grip onto the reel for most of the morning. Once the line got wet and was wound a few times it got better, but was never perfect. Is there something I need to do different when spooling it? I don't have this issue on my deep sea reels, so I know it's not "that's just how braided line works".
                                                                                                                                                                                                       Most new reels hav a rubber insert on the spool to keep Braid from slipping , but a trick I learned many years ago when Braid first came out , use a regular slip knot ,loop it several times around the spool then give it a drop of super glue , let it dry the spool it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal