Author Topic: Trailer Bearings and other extras to always have on hand  (Read 6526 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Getting ready for Lake Powell trip I want to make sure I'm fully prepared.  Making sure tires are in good shape and filled with proper air pressure - and confirming all spares as well for both truck and boat.  I wonder about my trailer bearings.  I pump the grease in occasionally.  I touch them after a long drive to confirm they are not hot.  I know you can life trailer up and try and see if there is any back and forth movement of tire to see if bearings are going.  Regardless, I'm wondering if I should buy and carry and extra set of bearings on trips.  I am not mechanically inclined to replace on the side of the road but thinking having an extra set may be good (I have friends who are mechanically inclined if such a case arises).  Any ideas how I can find out the model/size of bearings so I can order the right part and have along with me?  And does it require special tools I should bring?

I know some folks bring double extra spare tires.  Understood that may be a good idea for a long trip.  Basic tools.  I have really basic stuff like pliers, wrenches, and appropriate jacks.  Anything else you take on long trips or really keep in your truck all the time just in case?

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
Re: Trailer Bearings and other extras to always have on hand
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Generally you can use the Vin number from your trailer and the manufacturer can get you the bearing and seal numbers ,Some like Spartan are out of business and you have to get the number from the bearing and seal or have NAPA match them from the old ones . If you are going to lift it to check for any wobble , spin the wheel there should be no noise noise is bad . along with spare bearings and seal get a small can of marine grade bearing grease , to change the bearing out you will need a jack , a pair of slip joint pliers (Large one ) large flat screw driver , a rubber mallet extra cotter pin good light source (S--t usually happens at nite). When you tighten the hub nut make tighten it till it does not move easily then back off a bit do it again then back off so the wheel turns smoothly . Check them out before you go , the only time I have ever lost a bearing/ axle is when the guy whose boat and trailer we were using did not ever do preventive maintenance . Other items I keep in the truck ,4 ton come along , 30 ft tow strap , 2 two inch tie down straps. can of wd40 . Wish I could go but gotta go home gonna be a short spring still 50 inches of Ice on my lake maybe Ice out by may 15th ????

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:53 AM »
My experience is that if the bearing really explodes, you need to replace the race as well. That requires a hammer and punch and then you need to reseat the new race. Not a side of the road job.

Service the bearings ahead of time. Inspect for burnt or flaking appearance. New grease, clean Arbor, new oil seals. If you're not feeling heat now and there's no noise or movement, you're most likely good.

I completely service my bearings  every other year.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25 PM »
My experience is that if the bearing really explodes, you need to replace the race as well. That requires a hammer and punch and then you need to reseat the new race. Not a side of the road job.

Service the bearings ahead of time. Inspect for burnt or flaking appearance. New grease, clean Arbor, new oil seals. If you're not feeling heat now and there's no noise or movement, you're most likely good.

I completely service my bearings  every other year.

Yup and if it really lets loose it will often tear up the spindle and unless your trailer has bolt on spindles that is a trip to a trailer shop to cut off and replace the spindle, in a bind in the middle of no where you can make it back to town in most cases.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Who is your top trusted boat and trailer mechanics you'd recommend in the east valley for a boat like mine?

Actually, I did a search on another fishing social media site and got a couple trailer recommendations nearby:
Rucker Trailer Works: http://www.trailerrepairandservice.com/
Wrangler Trailers: http://wranglertrailers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:22 AM by OneBlade »

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Matt;

Buy a spare hub with the bearings already in it.  That way, instead of fiddling around with bearings and lots of tools on the side of the road, you simply remove the castle nut from the spindle, pull the old hub off, put the new hub on, tighten the castle nut to approximately 50 foot lbs, back the nut off 1/4 turn, cotter pin back in and you are good to go.  If you get your trailer serviced by a shop before you go to Powell, they can sett you up with it and show you the steps.   

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Matt, have heard good things about Wrangler trailer shop
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Matt, another trailer shop a freind has used and says is very good and reasonable is Randall's VIP trailer service over their in the Mesa area.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Matt, another trailer shop a freind has used and says is very good and reasonable is Randall's VIP trailer service over their in the Mesa area.
Yes I heard about Randalls as well as JacksSons.  Posting info here in case someone later wants it:

Rucker Trailer Works
   Address: 224 S MacDonald, Mesa, AZ 85210 (Broadway and Country Club)
   Phone: (480) 964-1503

Wrangler Trailers
   Address: 1128 S Lewis, Mesa, AZ 85210 (Southern and Center)
   Phone: (480) 600-2317

JacksSon’s Trailers
   Address: 3054 E Main St, Mesa, AZ 85213
   Phone: 480-467-3730

Randall’s VIP Trailers
   Address: 17066 S 54th St, Chandler, AZ 85226 (I-10 and San Tan Loop 202 Freeway)
   Phone: (480) 940-1660

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Buy a spare hub with the bearings already in it.  That way, instead of fiddling around with bearings and lots of tools on the side of the road, you simply remove the castle nut from the spindle, pull the old hub off, put the new hub on, tighten the castle nut to approximately 50 foot lbs, back the nut off 1/4 turn, cotter pin back in and you are good to go.   
I asked about this and the guy seemed to indicate I needed somewhere on my boat to hold the spare otherwise grease gets all over.  Not sure what he meant but I have the hub and bearings separate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal