Author Topic: What do you use for a transom saver?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
What do you use for a transom saver?
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I have a 225 Mercury Outboard and I'm looking into a new transom saver. The one I currently use magically broke a few years ago while at the upholster shop. I've gotten to work since them because I wasn't using the boat much, but now that I'm going out a few times a month I would like one that won't snap out of nowhere...

Historically I've always used these types of savers: Attwood Heavy Duty Transom Saver

But I've been leaning towards getting one of these types.... Attwood OMC Swivl-Eze Lock N' Stow

What do you use on your boat? Has anyone used both of these and like one over the other?

Offline Razor

Re: What do you use for a transom saver?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I have the swivl-eze one on current boat, had the other one on a previous boat. I prefer the swivl-eze  because it doesn't transfer all the impact from the trailer to the outboard. 

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I have the swivl-eze one on current boat, had the other one on a previous boat. I prefer the swivl-eze  because it doesn't transfer all the impact from the trailer to the outboard. 

How long have you had it? What's your experience with the rubber stoppers getting ruined? That seems to be the biggest complaint with people who gave it negative reviews. Sometimes I can't trust someone who gives a purchase 1 star when the only complaint they supply is one piece of a product.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I use swvl ease as well. Works fine, smaller than the other one and less parts

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I use swvl ease as well. Works fine, smaller than the other one and less parts

How long have you been using yours?

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:39 PM »
4 years

Offline Razor

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I haven't had the boat that long but the guy I bought it from said it at least 5 years old of not more.  I'm probably going to machine some UHMW inserts as I figure they would last for a very long time but the rubber inserts aren't that badly worn.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Good to know. I don't think I can go wrong with it. Seems like most people like it, with a few people who don't. And there's always people out there who will find something wrong!
Plus, I've gone through two of those arm ones.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I have only used the top one and have had it since I bought my boat back in 2006 and have not had any issues with it.  I only have a Opti 150 on the boat so the motor is not as heavy as yours.  I have seen where people use pieces of aluminum pipe and don't really put anything under the transom at all. 

Offline sandman

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 08:56 AM »
We've been using the MotorMate (similar to the second pic) for the past 4 or 5 years. Works well. Our trailer does not have the crossbar to be able to use the type in the top picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal