Author Topic: Any ideas similar to an ice fishing peg?  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Azstick_and_string

Any ideas similar to an ice fishing peg?
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Hello Gents,

I was sitting around pondering fishing today when i thought of an idea. Back when I ice fished, the reels had a peg in them so once you reeled in you could always drop the bait down to the exact depth you were at prior to reeling a fish in. Does anyone have a DIY method or commercial product that would work on the same principal for spin cast reels?

If you don't get what i mean. It would be like using one of these reels https://www.fishusa.com/product/Schooleys-DeMaReel  then placing a peg through one of the holes once your at your desired depth. when you reel, the line would go over the peg. Then once you're ready to drop to the same depth, you just let line out till its all off the peg.

I was thinking this would be nice for trolling and getting back to the same depths after reeling in a fish.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Any ideas similar to an ice fishing peg?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I find I count out foot by foot when I let out my line up front I think I'm pretty accurate knowing where I'm at given on my front rods I have heavier weight I don't have to worry about my lines losing depth because of boat speed.  But my process is still manual and slight error on my measurements.  Not sure if others have better approach.  I know Art use to color his line with permanent marker before his trips at various depths and then would always just let out line until that color was at the tip of the rod.   He used different colors for different depths.  You'd have to have a line type that can accept permanent marker though.

Offline Easy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I fish with a slip bobber most of the time.  The bobber is held at a certain depth by a tiny plastic stopper that you feed onto the line before feeding the line through the bobber.  But here is an idea to try without the bobber.  How about about adding that tiny plastic stopper onto your line and setting it at your desired length.  Then just look for the stopper to get you back to where you were.  Good fishing.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:39 PM »
 Not a bad idea.  I don't cast with my rods set up for trolling.... so I could always mark the line to give me a better idea of depth. Thanks guys.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:30 PM »
What size rods are you using?  With my 12' & 14' rods, I lift the rod tip straight up allowing the bait(s) to hang down to the butt of the rod therefore I'm approx 12' or 14' foot down.  If more line is let out I can still pretty much guesstimate the depth.  Plus I can see my bait/weights via my TM transducer to check its depth.  That's for spider rigging though which is how I fish most of the time.

Suffix does sell what is called Metered Braid which has 5 different colors to help determine the amount of line you have out.  You can guesstimate the lure depth from there.

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48 AM »
People that troll for fresh water salmon use large reals with leaded line, the line changes color every 10 yards.  Counting the number of colors you let out gets you back to the desired depth.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts gents. Part of my issue is my boat/rod holder set up. I'm fishing off my pontoon and its set up for cat fishing. So, my transducer is approximately a foot under water, my rod holders are mounted on my fence making my 10' rod tips approx. 6-7' above the water. The combination of those has me adding 8 foot of line or so to what most of y'all are running. I haven't had any experience with spider rigging or pulling lures, only long lining. I hope to make it to rosy this weekend, if so I'm going to try pulling jigs for a bit...either way it'll be better than a day at work!

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I posted this B4. Here it is again. This is a well known slip bobber knot we have used for years in WI. You do NOT have to string it onto your line. Add it whenever. I use 2 colors (red and black CARPET thread) I tie the red at 20 ft and the black at 40 ft. on my (10 ft) CRAPPIE rods with 10 lb line and 4 - 6 lb leaders. After they are located I trim them quite short and I cover them with fingernail polish. This will keep them in place. These markers can be used for trolling or straight line fishing.

DO NOT do this on your spinning rods. Like the "marks" Art puts on his line,, you must re-possition them if/when you tear off. Kinda hard to move an ink mark. These knots can be slid up and down the line as needed (wet them first). I check my spinning rod knots B4 I head out. At my house I hook the line on property line fence and back up to driveway. 20 ft is at my first porch pillar and the second knot is at the last pillar.

Another tip. Gapen sells a removable slip bobber. It is a slip OR permanent depth bobber depending on how  YOU want to use it. Cost is about $4 each but WELL worth it.

Tomahawk WI. May 17, 7 am temp at 37 degrees... BURRRRRRRRR!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:12 AM by o from wi »
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline Tombstone King

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21 PM »
I have had two of these for quite some time.  They have two pins on opposite sides of the spool. You pop one up when you are at a depth you think might be productive.  If you hook one, you reel it in with line winding around the pin.  Then when you open the bail again it goes back to the exact same depth again.  I am pretty sure I got these reels from Bass Pro but do not remember for sure.  The reels are marked "Bill Dance Crappie Series 10" and have an apparent model number of BDCDL10 on the side.  Trouble is, since reading this thread I have tried to Google up the name and model number of the reels with no success.  Maybe they don't make them anymore but that would be too bad. These reels would seem to be just the ticket for some of the people following this thread.  If anybody finds a place to get them, please post that information.  I would like to get several more myself.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:24 PM by Tombstone King »

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 08:34 AM »
The marks are on my braid main line and if I break off it's my flouro leader thus not affecting my marks. ......Art

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal