Fishing and Dock Talk > General Discussion

Any ideas similar to an ice fishing peg?

(1/3) > >>

Azstick_and_string:
Hello Gents,

I was sitting around pondering fishing today when i thought of an idea. Back when I ice fished, the reels had a peg in them so once you reeled in you could always drop the bait down to the exact depth you were at prior to reeling a fish in. Does anyone have a DIY method or commercial product that would work on the same principal for spin cast reels?

If you don't get what i mean. It would be like using one of these reels https://www.fishusa.com/product/Schooleys-DeMaReel  then placing a peg through one of the holes once your at your desired depth. when you reel, the line would go over the peg. Then once you're ready to drop to the same depth, you just let line out till its all off the peg.

I was thinking this would be nice for trolling and getting back to the same depths after reeling in a fish.

OneBlade:
I find I count out foot by foot when I let out my line up front I think I'm pretty accurate knowing where I'm at given on my front rods I have heavier weight I don't have to worry about my lines losing depth because of boat speed.  But my process is still manual and slight error on my measurements.  Not sure if others have better approach.  I know Art use to color his line with permanent marker before his trips at various depths and then would always just let out line until that color was at the tip of the rod.   He used different colors for different depths.  You'd have to have a line type that can accept permanent marker though.

Easy:
I fish with a slip bobber most of the time.  The bobber is held at a certain depth by a tiny plastic stopper that you feed onto the line before feeding the line through the bobber.  But here is an idea to try without the bobber.  How about about adding that tiny plastic stopper onto your line and setting it at your desired length.  Then just look for the stopper to get you back to where you were.  Good fishing.

Azstick_and_string:
 Not a bad idea.  I don't cast with my rods set up for trolling.... so I could always mark the line to give me a better idea of depth. Thanks guys.

cousinlll:
What size rods are you using?  With my 12' & 14' rods, I lift the rod tip straight up allowing the bait(s) to hang down to the butt of the rod therefore I'm approx 12' or 14' foot down.  If more line is let out I can still pretty much guesstimate the depth.  Plus I can see my bait/weights via my TM transducer to check its depth.  That's for spider rigging though which is how I fish most of the time.

Suffix does sell what is called Metered Braid which has 5 different colors to help determine the amount of line you have out.  You can guesstimate the lure depth from there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version