Author Topic: Plez 6/16  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
Plez 6/16
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Last minute decision paid off. Boated 60 crappie last night with a buddy drop shotting minnows. Nothin big but kept 17. Mostly black crappie with a handful of white crappie. Forgot the name but burger joint off lake pleasant road was generous with minnows and opened later than most. Beautiful night on the water and almost as shocking as the number of crappie was not a single other was species caught
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:02 AM by Tweeder »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Plez 5/16
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Wow, nice report.  Bet it was a lot of fun.  Did you fish in that area beforehand to know where to go?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Nice, had to be a fantastic night out as cool as it was during the day with no wind. I need to try casting a jig around in the area except the dang big stripers have been going crazy on surface. Thanks for the report
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Matt I have fished the area I was in before but not in a few years, this was only my second trip to Pleasant this year and the first trip wasn't for crappie. 
Bruce you would have been proud, I actually tied on a 1/8 oz jig with BBC and caught a few casting without bait. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:54 PM by Tweeder »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:29 AM »
Cool, I didn't realize how much the lake was down
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I was talking to a guy on the Arizona Striper Fishing group on Facebook who said he's been nailing crappie at Plez for the last 4-5 years. He's been noticing a real upward trend with the crappie population there. It made me a little interested in heading out there for crappie instead of stripers!

Also, the subject of your post is "5/16". Was this a trip in May or June?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:12 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline Tombstone King

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:36 PM »
This report on Lake Pleasant gives me hope of catching a few more crappie while I am still able to get out there in this life.  My favorite crappie lake has been allowed to die again as confirmed with a phone call today to the SC game and fish.  Probably another 3 to 5 years before SC has "keepable" crappie and that is only if we get unusual/unlikely rain/snow up north in the next few years.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?cb_all_=on&cb_00054=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&site_no=09469000&period=50&begin_date=2018-06-12&end_date=2018-06-19

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:03 AM »
I was talking to a guy on the Arizona Striper Fishing group on Facebook who said he's been nailing crappie at Plez for the last 4-5 years. He's been noticing a real upward trend with the crappie population there. It made me a little interested in heading out there for crappie instead of stripers!

Also, the subject of your post is "5/16". Was this a trip in May or June?

Good catch Phreek! Fixed now, it was June not May. 

Offline WheatThin

Re: Plez 6/16
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I wasn't with Kevin on this trip, but I can say I haven't really noticed any changes in the crappie fishing.  When I've targeted them over the last 15 years or so I've fished plez I've been able to find them and catch them fairly easily and decent numbers.  What I can't figure out is how to find bigger ones.  I don't know if the habit doesn't work for large crappie or what, but I have never noticed a shortage in the population. 

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Plez 6/16
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 02:08 PM »
I wasn't with Kevin on this trip, but I can say I haven't really noticed any changes in the crappie fishing.  When I've targeted them over the last 15 years or so I've fished plez I've been able to find them and catch them fairly easily and decent numbers.  What I can't figure out is how to find bigger ones.  I don't know if the habit doesn't work for large crappie or what, but I have never noticed a shortage in the population. 

I haven't caught a crappie there in over a decade, so catching 1 would be an "upward trend" for me. lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal