Author Topic: July 2018 Meeting - Lake Mary  (Read 8588 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: July 2018 Meeting - Lake Mary
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 03:44 PM »
The July meeting is in the books.  Attendees includes Dave Sparkchaser, Tom MenRats, Tommy Fishman, and Matt OneBlade.  Weather forecast was concerning earlier in the week with rain in the forecast for Fri/Sat but actually it turned turned out really well.  Friday we all arrived late morning and setup camp in a new spot from the previous years.  Easier getting in and out of the campsite - might try and get that site again next year. 

Friday afternoon, got on the water maybe 1pm or so.  I fished on my boat with Tom Menrats.  Tommy Fishman and Dave fished on Tommy's boat.  Tommy set out 5 or so crawdad traps as rumor was he and Dave were cooking major crawfish boil Saturday night.  Tom and I caught 2 nice sized walleye Friday afternoon.  Walleye worm harness with bottom bouncer seemed to work well this year for us.

Friday evening it rained a bit at camp, then we all took a Lyft into town.... somehow we found someone willing to pick us up at Marshall Lake.  We took Flagstaff downtown by storm visiting some new places (pizza joint) and familiar places (the State Bar).  What a night!  What happens in Flagstaff stays in Flagstaff.  Good fun Friday night.  Lyfted back to our campsite and was asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. 

Late to bed early to rise that's how it works camping.  Saturday on the water maybe 7:30am.  Tom and I caught 4 walleye but 2 were throwbacks so kept 2.  Tom also caught 1 small pike.  I had a huge bite most likely northern just cut right through my line - I didn't have a steel liter on.  Felt like a nice fish though.  Rainstorm came in maybe 2pm and booted us off the water.  Us Lake Powell folks have enough fish in our freezers so none of us brought our fish cleaning knives.  Tom ended up using some old knife he had to clean the fish back at camp.

Saturday afternoon we played a game of poker and then the chefs got serious.  Tom and Dave cooked up an awesome crawfish boil with kielbasa, corn, potatoes, shrimp, onions, lemons, garlic, and some special Lousiana crawfish boil Dave got from New Orleans.  Later that night, we headed back to the lake and gave all of our extra uncooked crawfish to a nice family on shore, then headed back to camp for campfire and more poker.

Other things caught: various clamshells most just the shell but I think Tom caught a couple live ones.  I caught an old shirt.

Other fun stuff: some pesky teens I guess started drinking early Saturday morning they were over by the dam at 8am swimming ready to party.  Yelling loudly to their mate to jump off the dam and sharp rocks it led for entertainment and annoyance for the rest of us on the water.

Thanks again to Dave for use of the camper for rain cover, cooking stuff, trash can, Lyft ride, etc. 

Thanks to Tommy Fishman and Dave for the crawfish boil.  I actually had avoided crawfish up until last night and wow, it was really good.  Gonna do that with my kids over Labor Day at Woods Canyon lake.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 03:45 PM »
More pictures.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57 PM »
sounds like you guys had a great time both on and off the water. Were the crawfish that were boiled all from the lake? that is a whole bunch and looked good sized?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Awesome guys. Wish I could of made the craw fish boil. Next time.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Dang, that looked like a perfect event.   

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 11:19 AM »
It was an awesome weekend.  From Rats making the call on the camping spot, to the leaving at Sunday temps of 69 degrees.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I also thought Menrats impersonation of the drummer for Bruce Springsteen's band playing Born in the USA was spot on as well.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 02:23 PM »
I just read the report and it sounds like you guys had a ball! The report made me tired so I have to go take a nap now! ......Art

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 08:15 PM »
In 5 traps with a 23 hour soak and 24 total Walmart hotdogs as bait, we caught well over 100 pounds of crawdads and many very nice size. Figure we cooked 30 pounds, gave another 20 to a nice family, and set free the remaining 50.  Extra cool bonus was getting to use two of Brian’s old traps.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 05:40 AM »
That's amazing that many crawfish in such a short time, I noticed alot of them were big. When I used to go the crawfish festival in Heber you could always tell the ones caught local compared to ones shipped in they were like small lobsters.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal