Author Topic: 2018 Bob Hirsch Classic  (Read 502 times)

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Bob Hirsch Classic
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Congrats to Team Fish Hawk and all that survived! Hawk, you must like that Chamberlin Cup? How about a few details on depth, presentations, etc. from everybody? .........Art

Thanks Art. We Tight-lined minnows and grubs down 15'-25' deep in 30' of water all weekend. We fished Thursday late afternoon boating seven or so fish. I had a double on Thursday, its been awhile since I've had a double. On the water Friday morning around 7:30. We burned thru all our minnows by 11:30 (it was a light bite) and I just replaced minnows with grubs and kept catching fish. We kept 25 crappie and threw back another 7 or so that where small. I ended the day with two separate doubles. On Saturday fishing conditions was tough. We had white water coming over the bow of the boat and went in till the storm blew over. Back on the water around 10 and ended the day with 10 fish that was good enough for 1st place to put the Chamberlin Cup on display again.   

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Two questions (1) with all the 1 lb. crappie caught does that mean there was a decent spawn last spring even with the water draw down (2) who won my fancy camping chair?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28 PM »
1lb is to big for a less than one year old fish (probably 2yrs old at least) :dontknow: they do have lots of food there
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline FishMan

• AZCA Members
  • Toot-Toot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46 PM »
O from WI won the fancy camping chair and it was the most perfectly fitting prize as he had what I would call a “seating device malfunction” the night prior. Regusrding fish caught sizes.....most were in that 0.7 pound range....but our boat had a few 1.7 pounds and a few in the 8 inch class, in fact I had one double hook up of two 8 inchers, happily returned.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36 AM »
good to hear they spawned with those small fish, we caught quite a few crappie shallow last spring after the draw down,thankfully nature does not have crappie and other species all spawn at once because of things like lake drop or sudden water temp drop etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books