Author Topic: San Carlos  (Read 4158 times)

Offline JigNPig

• View Profile
San Carlos
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Fished on Tuesday the 22nd and Wednesday the 23rd. On Tuesday I followed the majority of the boats and only caught 6. One was 17 1/2" and a couple were 15 1/2".  Kept thinking I should go searching for a new spot but stayed with the rest.
On Wednesday I headed for Mojave point and fished awhile. Caught a couple right away. Boats were kind of scattered but not doing much. I decided to go on a search for new spots. I got on the water at 8:30 and left ant 11:45 with a limit of 25. Just proves that the flotillas don't always know best. They pretty much do what everyone else is doing.  Got to think for yourself and find your own spots. Everyone was fishing in 17 or 18 feet down to 21 to 22 feet. I decided to go shallower.
It payed off.  Caught Fish on everything and every color. Three constants were water depth, boat speed and fish depth. Water depth was 12 to 15 feet. Boat speed was .7 MPH and fish depth was 3 or 4 feet down. When I caught one i would do a figure 8 in the area. Sometimes I would catch 5 or 6 during the figure 8 before I moved on. Experiment guys .Don't be afraid to move. you can always go back and follow the flotillas.
TIGHT LINES.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: San Carlos
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Nice report! Glad to hear the Crappie are still active given these weather fronts.  And yes, think shallow....... :dance:

LLL

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:59 PM »
That's great info.  I only fish 1-2 times a month so I'm going where the group is at.  I don't know the lakes at all so I'll go where everyone else is.  Cool you were able to try out some other spot and get your limit, great job!  I'm heading to Roosevelt in a couple weeks and then for the spring crappie fest and want to have a backup plan if the flotilla isn't cutting it.  The real question is if I'll take that chance. I may get comfortable with the flotilla catching just a few.  I like your approach.  In the flotillas, there are so many boats I don't have the room to do the figure 8.  I have to think the crappie are elsewhere in the lake but I'm not willing just yet to make the move and try them out.  

You going to the March AZ crappie trip (11-13) or the spring crappie fest?  Would be good to meet up.

Offline JigNPig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Weather fronts definitely affect fish locations, but my experience has been that during the spawn they are less affected than at other times. I know they will probably pull back into deeper water or out past the first break, but unlike bass, crappie are usually suspended. So they are still there just more neutral as far as feeding and and probably change depth of suspension. Sometimes they just hunker down and stay if they are real shallow. Remember that rocks and gravel and dark bottom hold heat and if the front isn't too severe, they may not even move. they just won't feed. It's at this time they may bite by reaction and repetition such as throwing something to them over and over or trolling past over and over, whatever your method is.
I don't live here year round so I won't be going to the crappie fest or the crappie trip. Thanks for asking tho.
Tight Lines

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:58 AM »
ok now im going back to sc on sat not rosey. a 17+ nice slab dude. thx for the hope ive had nothing but littluns this yr. on sc.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:30 AM »
be careful supposed to get real windy today before the rain this evening.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline spotter0502

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:01 PM »
fished on 3/3. caught 10 but could have had more if I wasnt stubborn about using my regular jigs and trolling. The color that worked best was green/chartreause with a chartreause head, 2nd best was all white.  More fish graphed in 20-22 ft but most BITING fish were in 16 ft norteast of the flotilla. Most sucessful fishermen were using long poles and MINNOWS ONLY (no jigs) and drifting. One fisherman had 39 on board and was waiting for # 40 so he could go in (advised him of the limit and got NO response. Oh well ! This next week sould be awsome.

Offline fishon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:25 AM »
I'm new to the forum and to the valley.  I am boatless and would like some suggestion for San Carlos and fishing from shore.  I was up there on March 2 and fished the cement boat ramp area, Mojave and Old San Carlos points but did not have any bites. :crybaby2: 

Thanks and help would be appreciated. :D

Offline cjw2222

• Aim Small, Miss Small
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I'm new to the forum and to the valley.  I am boatless and would like some suggestion for San Carlos and fishing from shore.  I was up there on March 2 and fished the cement boat ramp area, Mojave and Old San Carlos points but did not have any bites. :crybaby2: 

Thanks and help would be appreciated. :D

Water temp was 56 on surface this past weekend which means the crappie are still staging for the spawn.  Once that water temp starts breaking 60 they should get into the spawn mode which will bring them much shallower as the males start fanning beds and introducing the females to their creations.  I would try late March or early April for the best bite from shoreline.  But as far as location goes, you appear to be spot on

Piscolli

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:39 PM »

[/quote]

Water temp was 56 on surface this past weekend which means the crappie are still staging for the spawn.  Once that water temp starts breaking 60 they should get into the spawn mode which will bring them much shallower as the males start fanning beds and introducing the females to their creations.  I would try late March or early April for the best bite from shoreline.  But as far as location goes, you appear to be spot on
[/quote]

+1

Offline fishon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25 AM »
Thanks, any and all sugesstions are approciated. :thumbsup:  I am considering getting float pontoon that would allow me to get a little better access to the coves.

Offline TOM N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I was there monday befor the wind blew us off the lake, does anybody know if you can get up to the river mouth in a boat or is it to shallow?We never left the Mohave point area for the short time we were there.Water temps were in the mid 50's and we fished with the flotilla but we are going to try some new areas farther north if we can get in there!We will be there sun night until tues afternoon this upcomming week, I will be in a 2007 nitro 591 with silver and red stripes give a hollar if you see us!Thanks in advance for any info and hopefully we will see some of ya's there! tom n