Author Topic: Roosevelt 10/25  (Read 2595 times)

Offline ejcrist

Roosevelt 10/25
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Got there kinda late at 10:00 which wasn't ideal. It was calm, clear, and nice temps. Fished the habitats just west of the Windy Hill launch. I was using a 4 wt fly rod I built with full sinking line and a white and chartreuse 1/64 oz Crappie jig I've used many times before with success. My buddy was using a spinning rod with a similar jig. We got a hit or two but no takers. Found shade on the north side of Windy Hill and we ended up with two Bass using the same setups. Tried down in the jungle on the east end but didn't really fish it because I couldn't tell what was fish and what was brush on the Lowrance. It was getting late and we still had a 2 hour drive home so we saddled up and headed back around 16:00.

That was the first time I've been to Roosevelt so I was glad to get out there and check it out. One guy at the launch said his favorite Crappie hole was over at the marina. I didn't know if it was ok to fish there or not but that would've been my guess too since I always see several under the piers up at Katherine's Landing - I think they like that extended shade. We'll probably head back next week since we marked a lot of fish around those habitats and know they're there - just need to figure out the right fly/lure and color they like.

Gene
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Junius P. Long

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Roosevelt 10/25
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Unless things have changed you can not fish inside the marina slips them selves, you can fish in behind it and around the walk way, a lot of people fish the tires and at times do very well for crappie, with all the cables holding the tires down the crappie will suspend in the shade under the tires and around the cables etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Thanks for the report ejcrist@ I think you had the right idea - probably just keep hitting habitats and you'll find them.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:17 AM »
The G & F guys are fishing the habitat today and tomorrow to check them out for themselves. I will try to meet up with them tomorrow for a while and see how their doing. ........Art

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I know Curt said they were going to dive the habitat here in the future to see how they looked and what the fish were relating to it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal