Author Topic: Bartlett 12/8  (Read 2666 times)

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
Bartlett 12/8
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Fished with Fishman from first light until noon, then went back out after the meeting until 2:30. We ended up with 6 crappie, all caught with minnows. Bite was extremely light,  and we missed quite a few due to using rod holders. We did try jigs, with no success. We stayed in 15 to 25 FOW fishing 10 to 15 feet down. Lake was up 5 to 7 feet since I had been there last. Water temps were in the high 50's.

SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
Re: Bartlett 12/8
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Setting was perfect for me to use the fly rod. Brought the 5 weight, and ran an extra long 15 foot leader under an indicator. Bottom fly USA a #12 gold bead Greenie Weenie and above that a #18 gold bead hairs ear. Hand one solid strike with a hook up for a good 3 seconds before it pulled. I’m very excited for the spawn as I think this may be a deadly method. To add to Dave’s post above, on the minow rig, I had much greater action using the small minows vs the larger ones......just an observation.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Good work fellas!

Online OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Cool, thanks for the report.

Offline whaler

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:27 PM »
enjoyed seeing everyone at the meeting. great guys

Offline ejcrist

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Roger and I very much enjoyed meeting everyone at the meeting yesterday - thanks for having us.

Fishman - that sounds like a winning Crappie fly rig. I never tied any Green Weenies but I've read good things about them so I'm gonna tie a few up for the next outing. I've got plenty of Hare's Ears so once I make up some Weenies I'm going to try that same rig. I've got Rio Type V sinking line for one of my 4 weights, and also intermediate for 4 and 3 weights, both with short leaders of 4'-5' that might work good with that rig but I'll have to be on guard for any light strikes while it's on the way down. I made a couple of ultra-lite fly rods from 1-3 weight that are all under 9' so leaders longer than 8' can get a little unwieldy. I came up with a new jig based off of Ward Bean's Crappie Jig (http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=8) but I used a chartreuse marabou tail, white body, and tied in 4 herls over the back and added a red hen neck feather collar - I think that'll work well the next time out. I used a 1/64th jig on a #8 hook.
What kind of strike indicator did you use? I started making my own out of foam and an o-ring because those commercial kind that you twist your leader into never seem to stay on, or in one place for me.

Anyway sorry fella's for getting so long winded but I love talkin 'bout bream.

Gene
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Junius P. Long

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal