Author Topic: Hooks vs Trees  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Easy

Hooks vs Trees
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I seem to get hung up four out of five times when I try to fish in brush and underwater trees.  So, its break the line, tie on a new rig, drop down and do it all over again.  I try a few times and give up.  Then I move to water with no underbrush/trees and come home skunked.  My questions - - What is the best rigging for fishing in underwater brush/trees?  What is an effective strategy for being able to avoid hang-ups?  Thanks.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Hooks vs Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:18 PM »
You'll probably get a lot of answers and everyone has different methods.  I know a few folks here use the thinner Aberdeen hooks as those are generally a little more lightweight and bend more than other hooks, giving you chance of getting it out of a tree with enough careful pulling. You can often bend it back then with no issues. Search Eagle Claw and you'll find them - plus with those thinner hooks your minnows may stay alive longer.  But if your entire main line is lightweight, then you still have chance of breaking it off.  I've often moved to having a braid or crystal fireline say 20lb test as the main line but still use lighter weight line for the liter.  Often, I have liters pre-tied so I don't have to tie on the lake - that is an option for double hook rigs you can get all of them tied up ahead of time so breaking it off on the lake doesn't take you off the water for too long.  I don't hear much of people using weed guards or things like that you often see on some bass lures or hooks.  Oh one more thing.  Sometimes if you're fishing with a weight, put it on the bottom of your rig/setup and then have hook up 18-24" that way your weight hits the tree tops and your hook you are careful to not get too far down.  But that only works in certain scenarios and sometimes you want your line deep in those trees.  But yeah, pre-tie your liters ahead of time.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:34 AM »
If you are targeting fish in trees/brush you are going to inevitably loose some gear. I try to really slow things down when I see the trees show up on my graph, come to a stop and fish vertical. Most of the time I can see or feel my rod tip start to load up and lift it before it gets hung up. If it does get hung up, I turn the trolling motor 180 degrees and back up. I do find that using light wire hooks certainly helps like OneBlade said. I use 10lb braid on my main line, and use 6lb floro for my rigs that I pre tie. I roll the rigs onto a noodle so I can quickly put another one on. This is all assuming you are using bare hooks and minnows.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:00 AM »
Light wire hooks and braid line. The hooks will straighten when snagged and just bend them back into shape.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Light wire hooks and braid line. The hooks will straighten when snagged and just bend them back into shape.

True Dat. 

Offline Easy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Thanks to you all.  I appreciate your information which I will try to put into practice.
It looks like a trip to Bass Pro in on my horizon.  Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal