Fishing and Dock Talk > Crappie Gear

New Electronics - Who has what installed

(1/4) > >>

cousinlll:
So who has what electronics installed on their boats these days:  1) Brand/Model  2) Features you liked/wanted  3) Meeting your expectations

I'm still using my "old" HBird 998/1198 and feel years & years behind the times...... :greengrin:

OneBlade:
I have 2 Humminbird 998C HD SI.  I got refurbished versions to help on cost.  Having touchscreen smart phones these days I hate not having touchscreen on my electronics.  The buttons on my front device sometimes stick - that's annoying.  I was annoyed I paid that much and the default transducer couldn't handle when I was on plane - annoying - so I had to buy another 2D transducer just for on plane.  Do my finders help me find structure and fish?  You bet!  But I'll admit I'm slow to learn on them and only though talking with others with similar models do I learn some tricks on them.  I like being able to enter waypoints on the computer and upload to the units on the boat (rather than entering waypoints on the units themselves).
I like the integration with my trolling motor for sure.  Telling the fish finder what waypoint to go to is pretty nice as is spot lock and just telling it to go a certain direction.  I downloaded nav maps and have used the feature to follow the contour so it always stays at a certain depth.  That was useful at Powell.  Each time I use one of these features though, it takes me some time to remember the process (I'm getting old).
Like all electronics, they become overtaken by newer technology within a few years. But I'm happy with my electronics and have no plans to upgrade unless I upgrade boat or one of the units dies.  I don't even know what's out there now. 
Lastly, I'm considering getting an underwater infared camera.  Ever see lots of things that look like fish on your electronics but never just quite sure what type of fish?  Would be nice to drop a camera down and verify your electronics by site.
I don't know if trolling motor counts as 'electronics' but I love my Terrova with ilink/ipilot.  Couldn't imagine not having that.

cousinlll:
Yes, lets include the Trolling Motor in this!  That I know I'm way behind with my MK Powerdrive 2 without the AP add on!  I've been waiting for it to break so I can upgrade to the Ulterra.  And i see MK just came out with a built in Mega DI transducer

PhishingPhreek:
I have the same fish finders that came with my boat 16 years ago...... so.... I have zero insight on this. lol
Though, I'm REALLY wanting to get new one since I currently rely on the old technique of "Oh sweet, I got a snag! That means there's a tree down there!"

I do have the Minn Kota Terrova and love that even without the iPilot or other GPS add-ons.  Even that Terrova is old compared to the new TMs that MK is coming out with.

timbo:
I just added a second lowrance hds 7 gen 2 w/sidescan. I have a powerdrive w/i pilot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version