Author Topic: Alamo Lake 15/16/17  (Read 3021 times)

Offline nickt

Alamo Lake 15/16/17
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Never been to Alamo Lake before.
Friday the wind was blowing and very difficult to launch a boat and the launch ramps was full of logs and debris.

Drove around the lake and see if i can meter anything, for a good hour, found nothing.
Had enough of the wind and decided to get out.

By 5 the wind suddenly just die down and i decided to try it again but on the west side of the lake by the dam.

I did some stick fishing and manage to catch 8 nice crappies.
It gotten dark and time to head out.

On Sat, i went to fish the same area i was fishing and hope they would still be there.
Guess what?  The tree and sticks i was targeting GONE, vanish, disappear.  :banghead:
The water came up almost 3 ft over night.
After trying new spot, manage to catch another 6 after 6 hours of grinding the banks.

Family had fun camping, never seen wild donkeys before and the noise they make at night  :laugh: We don't see this in Alaska.

That my report.
will be back again when the water is in better conditions

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:27 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
Re: Alamo Lake 15/16/17
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:48 AM »
Great report NickT and thanks for positing. Can’t wait for that lake to setttle down.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Great report, thanks.  Amazing how quickly that lake level can change.  Cool you found them in a new spot.  Ages ago we'd fish by the dam but it seemed like last few trips we didn't try that area.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Thanks Nick for the report, what was the water temp?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline nickt

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22 PM »
@Fishless, the east end of the lake was 61* and the west side of the lake is 62 to 66* in certain area...saw 4 guys on blue bass boat throwing a small plastic swim bait were catching them in quantity and larger size crappies...didn’t want to bother them.

Will try it again in few weeks.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:54 PM »
Great report, and wow! Over 60 degrees is interesting because how low all the other lakes are. I know Alamo always warms up earlier though.
~60 degrees is the spawning temp, so that could be why they were getting them shallow. Seems like most of the other lakes are finding them suspended, if they bite.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 05:52 AM »
Great report, and wow! Over 60 degrees is interesting because how low all the other lakes are. I know Alamo always warms up earlier though.
~60 degrees is the spawning temp, so that could be why they were getting them shallow. Seems like most of the other lakes are finding them suspended, if they bite.

Thanks Nick for the info, Louis their darn spawning areas keep moving about once a week as these storms come through. I saw the lake went up 3' in a short amount of time. I had heard the water temp before this last storm had gotten to 65 but that cold water mix stirs things up. I guess it is time to make a trip and crash through the lumber. Wish the dock would get fixed and set at the main launch ramp.

The flood release manual for the CORE has them starting to release water at 1125, not to pull the lake down below that but to keep it at 1125 "what they consider full pool" before flood control releases start."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:54 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline nickt

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Most of the fish I caught was in 2 to 3 ft in the sticks. But water keep rising and my sticks just goes under water.
I show the fish to the Ranger and they say the fish is all male and dark already.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:44 PM »
Males will be jet black when hard on nests and sometimes go black in the livewell when kept before they actually move up they turn black as they get ready to do their thing. Sound like if they were in 2-3' they are ready. Couple of those crappie look maybe like females? only because they have an enlarged belly. Great catch especially for your first time exploring the lake.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal