Author Topic: Alamo 3-23-19  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
Alamo 3-23-19
« on: March 24, 2019, 05:25 PM »
On the water at 7am.  Parking lot was half full.  Set off with caution with reports of debris, wasn't an issue.

Went to the north end, wanted to fish areas I've never fished due to not having water.  Focused on 20-30' and staying just off the exposed trees.  Only found a bass and a carp (never caught a carp on a minnow tipped jig). 

Moved to the buoy line around 11am.  Nobody fishing the area.  60' water, 62 degrees, landed 2 of 3 at the 3rd buoy from the north.  Kept working the area as other boats arrived.  Saw 2 other boats land 1 crappie each and we got our 3rd boated  Started talking to one of the boats and he'd been camping/fishing since March 11th and it was the first crappie he'd caught.

We tried the shore NE of the buoys, nada. 

Soon, very soon if the weather holds. 

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Alamo 3-23-19
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Cool thanks for the report.  I bet it is gonna really start hitting with stable weather heating up.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 06:16 AM »
Thanks for the report, is the water clearing up at all?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:33 AM »
I forgot to mentioned water clarity and fish depth.  Most of the spots we fished was clear to around 3ft.  Bites were in the 15' range.  There were a high amount of tree bark and little sticks floating on the surface in some areas

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Philbie, I believe Marvin and I followed you from the I-10 turn off to the lake but we went to launch past the store whereas you took the first turn to a launch. I looked for your boat all day but never saw you. We headed all the way up the river to where the water depth was 6-8 feet. We tried that depth for an hour plus with no fish. Trolled back out toward the main lake maybe a mile and found some water 20' That is where we picked up our first crappie. We ended up trolling a 400 to 500 yard stretch back and forth the rest of the day. We were fishing double jig rigs no grubs tipped with a minnow with 12' of line out. We ended up with 17 crappie, 5 bass, and 1 grebe (what a hassle that was) We tried 15' - 18' of water with no love. Everything was in 20' not 19' or 21' just 20'
Went to the fish cleaning station and the snowbirds still camping made us feel like rock stars. How did you do it, where were you, what were you using. Every fish was a female not a single male. The eggs to me did not look close  (no blood) Water temp started about 61 and ended up 66 We worked hard for our fish 3-4 per hour but fairly consistent. We probably missed another 10 fish.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I fished Alamo this past Monday, a week ago. Fished all over north end of lake from shallow to deep, found lots of floating debris to foul lines and found fishing tough to say the least. Wound up with one female crappie caught very close to surface over 50' of water. It will happen soon.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal