Author Topic: Line conditioners and reel oils  (Read 4349 times)

Offline silver48

Line conditioners and reel oils
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Has anyone used any of the line conditioners (Blakemore, KVD, etc...) and if so, have you noticed that it has helped with casting, line memory, etc...?  Usually, I either just change my line, or clean with light unscented soap and water.  Also, has anyone used any of the reel oils or greases (hot sauce, reel butter, easy lube shortening)?  Again, I just brush the reel clean, wash off, dry, add a couple drops of 3:1 oil, and a dab of waterproof grease. 

Piscolli

Re: Line conditioners and reel oils
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I use kvd line conditioner on a regular basis. When I clean my reels I use hot sauce.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:52 PM »
KVD works really well. 

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I bought the KVD stuff on a whim.....didn't expect it to do much.  But to my surprise, it really works!  Seems to help a lot with line twist etc on my.....um....dropshot & wacky rig rods  :sad3: 

LLL 

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I bought the KVD stuff on a whim.....didn't expect it to do much.  But to my surprise, it really works!  Seems to help a lot with line twist etc on my.....um....dropshot & wacky rig rods  :sad3:  

LLL  

Line conditioners relax the line from "memory" more than anything. Line twist is a mechanical issue and can be reduced more so by doing things like using swivels or buying better reels. Line conditioners like KVD or Reel Magic can help some by coating the spools edge to reducing friction on the line as it comes off during casting.

This friction makes the line "roll" or "twist off the spool's edge rather than slide off. There are technologies to help with this. Many reels have a titanium lips on the edge of the spool. Titanium creates less friction than aluminum.  

Sandman told me that he get less twist on his Daiwa reels. The newer Shimanos have a beveled spool and the Wave Spin reels have teeth for the line to bounce off of (rather than ride an edge) during your cast.

Here is a link to the Wave Spin reels. http://www.wavespinreel.com/specs.html I have cast them and they work great. I can't speak too much about the quality of them because I don't own one. But I've been thinking about buying one of the DHXL's for a while. We have them at Bass Pro but don't sell many.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:26 PM by Piscolli »

Offline silver48

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Thanks for the info kids.  I've heard pro and con.  As I use braid, I was hesitant on screwing up the line, or gumming up a reel.  Now I'll get to hear my wife question why I spent another $30.00 at BPS!  I'll just tell her it's BPS's version of "KY" His and Hers!!!

Offline sandman

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51 PM »
I have always used the Reel Magic on mono with spinning reels. Works OK.

I haven't tried the KVD stuff yet but I hear that it works well.

There are several things that you can do to reduce twist. Closing the bail by hand and pulling out the slack is a big one when doing a lot of casting.

Lots of good reel lubes out there. They usually only need a drop or two at the main lube points.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal