Author Topic: was there every a fishing report from Carlos good or bad?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Lake came up a bunch but it had another fish kill last fall. I never saw a fishing report on Carlos the entire spring on any website good or bad anywhere. Either it was really bad or a very well kept secret :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: was there every a fishing report from Carlos good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:37 AM »
In terms of AZCrappie members, I don't believe anyone went since the lake went dry and major fish kill summer of 2018.  I'm sure though some non-members have tried this spring.  It seems fishing reports especially from San Carlos are often kept secret for fear that if too many people know it'll become overrun by fishermen.  Of course, I think San Carlos is unique in that it takes just a bit more to get there from different fishing permits, on reservation land, etc. so it reduces how many people go there regardless if fishing is good.  And when lake is hot, you could probably have hundred boats out there and the lake still produces.

There are a couple of fishing clubs on social media sites and I've kept a pretty good watch on them this last winter and spring.  There was a troll out there who posted a report but later turned out it was from the prior spring before the lake went dry.  From various intel that I've read, it does seem like the lake is still dead.  I've talked to a guy who runs a popular bait shop and he also hasn't heard any positive reports.  All signs indicate that it'll need another 2-3 years to recover.  It worth a reconnaissance mission in a year or two, but really there is no guarantee the lake won't be dry again this or next summer.

Of course, ya never know right.  There may be some spots perhaps where water comes in from rich sources that contain crappie maybe a few locals or people familiar with the lake had a few trips they pulled some crappie out of there.  I can't imagine they were any that survived summer of 2018 but fish that came in through inlets.  Regardless, with so much water in the lake, it could be tough to find them in the usual spots anyway.

Anyone else know or care to comment?  Having not been there, my thoughts are just from secondary info.

Offline Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I know of two trips to SC this spring for no bites at all. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:51 AM »
what a shame wish they could come up with a way to increase the minimum pool on that lake :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal