Author Topic: Here we go again with SRP inceasing releases from Bartlett  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Just like they have done in the past when we have a wet winter and for no apparent reason SRP has increased water releases from Bartlett to over 1000cfs and only 400cfs out of horse shoe lake with lots of water still in horseshoe and with no plans to keep any water in horseshoe. Right when the crappie are on the move and the first group trying to spawn up shallow they drop the lake fast so the spawn is screwed up. All that nice flooded brush and now the crappie pull back. Wish people at SRP or on their board of directors were fishermen :angry4: :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
Re: Here we go again with SRP inceasing releases from Bartlett
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:28 PM »
 I just spent all morning at Bartlett trolling through thousands of crappie with no appetite. we caught one bass and lost one... :angry4:
Rocky

Offline 1953rocco

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:13 PM »
You need to understand that SRP operates the dam for the Bureau of Reclamation and that water in the lakes is for agriculture purposes. In addition, since the state never approved the construction of Orme Dam many years ago, Bartlett and Horseshoe can not hold the water that is still to come from snowmelt. Greater flows would need to take place later if flows are not adjusted now. And, yes, I like to fish Bartlett for crappie as much as the next guy. I am a retiree of SRP and know many Board and management folks that like to fish and hunt. So your criticism of them is unwarranted.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Criticism is warranted when bureaucracy continues to champion poor practices . A bit of common sense on the part of all concerned parties could result in modifying a rigid policy to a just to changing conditions to benefit all parties use of the resource . Without criticism things will never change . It is a shame that folks like yourself can identify the problem then claim "nothing can be done "  "because " . I worked in Government both State and Federal for 34 years and fully understand that to rock the boat and make waves , can be the career kiss of death ,but you are retired to see something that needs change and respond that criticism is unwarranted is unwarranted . Surely you have identified the very folks who could work for and influence a more flexible policy that could benefit all of the stake holders both commercial and recreational . Bruces criticism seem to have ignited that concern perhaps we can find a way for the SRP and the Bureau of Reclamation to hold the water for bit longer to allow a more successful spawn ,maybe common sense , perhaps political , perhaps the courts through environment concerns ? surely there is a way , but silence will not do it . 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:25 AM »
I just spent all morning at Bartlett trolling through thousands of crappie with no appetite. we caught one bass and lost one... :angry4:

Rocko has the lake cleared at all since last week? buddy said couple days ago it is still read muddy with visibility down to a foot? Also don't know where you launched but could you tell if the TNF left SB launch open this weekend?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:36 AM »
No the lake is still very murky.... hopefully there is a good report from the fellas up in Roosevelt .  I have yet to catch a crappie this year... :crybaby2:
Rocky

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Well things have changed :dance: SRP for the last week has balanced out the releases from horseshoe and Bartlett. 1000cfs out of horseshoe and 1000 going out of Bartlett so if things stay that way with a stable lake the crappie hopefully will get to baby making :headbang:

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Fishless I sure hope you are right... I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.  I need to catch some crappie!  4 trips so far 0 crappie.   :crybaby2:
Rocky

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Fishless I sure hope you are right... I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.  I need to catch some crappie!  4 trips so far 0 crappie.   :crybaby2:

Are you moving around the lake or fishing the same areas? I think I saw a post where you said you graphed them everywhere, but couldn't get them to bite. Are you trolling or pounding the shoreline?

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:12 AM »
Trolling double riged grub tipped with minnows.   We tried trolling with long and short  lines..   we  trolled everywhere....coves, green Cliffs, upriver in the trees.  Most of the crappie we marked  seems to be headed for coves.   we trolled through so many fish I'm surprised we did not snag one! They dont seem to want to eat yet.
Rocky

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal