Author Topic: Alamo today (4/20/19)  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Bob

Alamo today (4/20/19)
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:17 PM »
On the water for 6 hours until we had enough of the wind that came up early.  Nice to see AZGFD officer checking people and a very cool way he did it without interfering with our fishing.  Caught all 16 crappie and one channel cat in 18' of water fishing 5' to 8' deep.  Only saw two other fish caught and all we talked to didn't get any.  Water is very clear and mostly upper 60's.   

Offline Bob

Re: Alamo today (4/20/19)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:39 PM »
After cleaning the fish I think its odd that 30 % were males and none of them were even close to spawning.  The females all had healthy eggs like we see in late December.  The males had very little milt and no torn fins or turned black.  We tried shallow all over the lake without a single bite. 

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Thanks for the report Bob.  Of all the lakes, it seems Alamo has the most occurrence of AZGFD or state park admin checking boats.  Not sure about the spawn comment.  Are you thinking they may still move in shallow?  Seems late.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 06:33 AM »
weird year, a month ago they started to go crazy up shallow up lake and then other than pretend weather fronts they vanished and seem to be in no hurry to return to baby making :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Bob

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:44 PM »
All fish we caught were out in main lake and we looked everywhere even right next to shore.  Heres a pic of the eggs of one of my 1.5 lb females.  Looks like a December fish but healthy eggs.  Maybe a second spawn coming?  Who knows on this one...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal