Lake Reports > All Other Lakes

Kaibab Lake - 5/26

(1/2) > >>

PhishingPhreek:
First off, yes... there are crappie in Kaibab Lake. Secondly, no, they don't have any size to them.  :ecomcity:

With the weather in all kinds of emotional distress over the weekend, I canceled the family camping trip I was planning, and opted to get in at least one day of fishing over Memorial Day weekend. Having gone to Dogtown a few weeks prior and getting skunked and hearing that Kaibab was producing fish, I decided Kaibab was the lake for me. Plus, I've had a decent history with crappie at this lake.

Since Kaibab is electric motor only, I brought my little 12' boat that holds 3 people uncomfortably. And because the only way to catch crappie at this lake is in the boat, I spent all day on there.

I set up both my rods to troll with crappie gear and didn't get my first crappie until 4 hours of being on the boat! I ended up catching 4 crappie and my brother caught 1. All no bigger than the size of my palm. No point in keeping something that small, so we threw them all back. I caught them on 3 different lures I was dragging behind the boat. 1 was with a worm on a single snelled hook with a gold blade, 1 was on a Joe's Fly Spinner tipped with a worm (See attached image), and the 2 others were on a chartreuse roadrunner, equipped with a "Green Weenie" jig. The one my brother caught was on the single snelled spinner with a worm.

While it wasn't the greatest of trips for crappie, and I'm happy I was able to get into any, it was an incredible trip for trout! With my gear all set up for crappie, I still managed to catch 15 trout, lose 5 bringing them into the boat, and literally missed 2 million hits!  :P

I even submitted my report to Game and Fish and they shared it on their report blog.
Angler Report: Kaibab Lake – 2 year old catches first trout

OneBlade:
Nice job and way to stay motivated after 4 hours of no crappie.

Tweeder:
Nice work Phreek, love to see reports from not "normal" crappie lakes too.  Also way to stay with it after a million strikes.  Had a few of those days that pushed me to my breaking point.  Wonder if a minnow stocking program or different type of feeder fish would benefit some of those high country lakes with stunted crappie size. 

PhishingPhreek:
I'm not sure what would help the crappie size and population at these northern lakes. I can't imagine they eat too many of crawdads since they're generally upward feeders. I do catch a lot of crappie up there off worms, so maybe they eat those somehow.
Would be interesting if we could stock a bait fish in one of these lakes to see what happens with the population.

FishMan:
You had me at “Greenie Weenie”.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version