Author Topic: Canyon and Apache Lakes Closed  (Read 4905 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Canyon and Apache Lakes Closed
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Highway 88 was closed down several days ago because of the Woodbury Fire going on in the Superstitions, so access to Apache Lake and Canyon Lake have been blocked. I know there's not great crappie action at these lakes, but it's still good to know. On the bright side, Roosevelt and Saguaro Lakes don't have any restrictions.

If you're curious about more info on the fire, you can check it out here ~~> Woodbury Fire Information

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Canyon and Apache Lakes Closed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:15 PM »
guess roosevelt marina closed and they are talking evecuations in roosevelt but they have been very vague don't know if that means tonto basin? on the salt end of the lake?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Yeah not sure if/when Tonto Basin area residents will be impacted.  But somewhere Roosevelt lake residents being evacuated: https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/forest_management_wildfires/immediate-evacuation-order-issued-for-roosevelt-and-roosevelt-lake-area/article_ee05948a-939b-11e9-9464-d3e132796326.html

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I don't believe the Tonto side will be affected based on how the fire is burning, but what I think doesn't mean much for this. Haha

The marina closed down yesterday afternoon and the 188 is closed between the 88 and 288, so all the camp grounds and ramps on the salt side are inaccessible.

I also heard that the road to Canyon is accessible, but I don't know if that means the lake is.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:50 AM »
today they finally said the community of Roosevelt which is on the salt end with sportsmen haven, Bostons restaurant etc. they also mentioned top of the world which is on US 60 heading to Globe.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Now there is a brush fire on state route 87 just before the Roosevelt lake turn off and 87 is closed in both directions right now.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I've been having a hard time keeping up with all the fires and which ones are affecting lake access!
A TNF fire update is showing that the fire has reached the 188 and has crossed the road in a few places.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:30 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Buddy sent these to me. If it's that close to the lake I have to think some fish kills may be on the way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:06 PM by Tweeder »

Offline apenland01

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 07:05 AM »
They were doing burnouts south of highway 188 to protect the Marina and East to Roosevelt Resort.  From what I hear, they were able to burn it back to the main fire, so the fire shouldn't threaten Roosevelt and they may let them back in by mid week this week.  That burnout probably didn't produce as much heat as the main fire would have and it would have.

I don't think fish kills will be an issue, but lingering smoke on the water might be for quite a while depending on the wind.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I saw some patches of burned areas on the map that looked to be a few miles from the main fire and was curious if those were controlled burns to hinder the fire. I asked TNF if that's what they were, but never heard back. Based off what you're saying, it sounds like those patches were the controlled burn areas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal