Author Topic: Patagonia Lake 5/3&5/9  (Read 2002 times)

Offline GearHead

Patagonia Lake 5/3&5/9
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Hey guys. New here. Enjoy seeing the fishing reports and tips. Here is the start to my contribution. Hit Patagonia Lake on 5/3 and 5/9 both from 6am to noon. Caught 5 bluegill on the 3rd and 1 small channel and 4 bluegill today. Did a lot of cruising around at about 4 mph mostly around ash canyon with electronics trying to find some crappie to drop on, I could not find any schools of crappie. Tons of shad. Mostly hung around 15-30 feet of water. I vertical jigged some submerged trees with no luck. Suspect either crappie are in the reeds or deeper than 30 feet. Never had much luck here for crappie so still trying to figure this lake out. Hope to get to Roosevelt Lake next weekend. Also, Lake was packed both weekends. Didn’t see anyone else catch anything. Lake level was very good.

Best of luck out there.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Patagonia Lake 5/3&5/9
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Hey GearHead  thanks for the report. I’ve seen some pretty good slabs come out of that lake of course I’m sure there’s lots of tough fishing as well. I heard the lake is pretty small, don’t know what to compare it with though. Someday I’ll get down there, thanks for the report. Roosevelt can be fun if you can figure it out. The slabs are just getting bigger in there.  Did you hit Patagonia driving from the Phoenix area? Seems like a long drive but I think they have camping there would love to do a meeting down there sometime.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:50 PM »
If you have a long pole.....10' or longer dip the pockets in the reeds.  Once you find a stretch of them you can fill the live well fairly quickly.  The last few times I had been there the wind was to strong to be able to effectively fish that way so we pounded the banks and caught some.

Offline GearHead

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Hey guys. I am down in Tucson so it is fairly close to me. I usually like to go up to Roosevelt but took my young son both times recently to Patagonia. Easier to do a half day with him, he get worn out and grumpy. I like to try to make it a day or a night when I drive up to roosevelt. The lake is fairly small. Half of the lake is no wake. If you go up and back down the wake side you will hit your own wake on the way back from about where you started if that gives you a idea of size. They do have lots of camping. Camp ground was full both times I went. When I left around noon both days there was a line at the entry shack to get it in. They wouldn’t let anyone in until someone left. Very busy.

I would like to try to meet up with you guys at a meeting sometime and see about joining.

IAMMAC, that is a pretty good idea. I will have to try that next time I am down there. Thanks.

Offline Crowbait

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 01:51 PM »
It seems that mid week is best for "Patty" The bite is tough to figure. AS Greg mentioned the pockets in the reeds are a hit. There is a TON of structure in the lake so that is not an issue. We used to do out best on the OLD purple fire tail worm. Cut it down ton jig size. I have never had luck on any fish deep. Always in 10 foot or less. Lots of good fish in this lake so a bite can exciting.

Greg, Tweeder and I did it last April late and did well. Good times. Greg is it Rosey time?

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:37 PM »
GearHead - yes would be great to have you at a club meeting so you can meet a few of the members.  We are working towards scheduling our summer meetings and when we do we'll put a link at the top of the website for them. The summer meetings are often smaller though and varies what lake we go to.  The next larger event we have is October for the Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic.  That will be held at Roosevelt Lake, Grapevine campground Oct 9-11.  When we get closer to that date, we'll post info on the site as well.  You should try and attend that event and/or our spring event in April.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal