Author Topic: Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic Question  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Gizmo4041

Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic Question
« on: July 18, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Im curious and have a couple questions, Bob Hirsch actually showed myself And dad how to catch crappie at Roosevelt,back up in the brush using cane or long extendable poles. And having talks with Bob's son Steven while fishing about Bob's love for  Roosevelt lake I just don't understand why you would have a tournament honoring Bob at Alamo. Just curious

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Hi Dick,

Thank you for your post & very valid question.

If you wouldn’t mind, can we get back to you with an answer to your question sometime next week?  Most of our officers & club members are heading to Lake Mary tomorrow for our club meeting on Saturday.  That way we can give you a good answer to the question at hand.

Thanks Again,

Larry
cousinlll

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Hi Dick,

My personal opinion, is that my recollection of Bob was that of a conservationist and lover of the great outdoors for our amazing state of Arizona, not just of Roosevelt.  He shared this love by being an educator and teacher of fishing. My personal experience with Bob was that of him teaching me about fly fishing the Rim waters....it wasn’t even Crappie related. As someone who painfully fished many Rosevelt tournaments to catch 2, 1, and even 0 Crappie I was quite excited to hear of the location shift. From what limited experience I had with Mr Hirsch, I would envision him being happy that Arizonans were congregating in the great outdoors, sitting by a campfire, teaching the next generation, and actually catching fish. And right now, Alamo provides us the greatest opportunity for all fisherman to do just that. Roosevelt is definitely on the rebound....let’s let it continue to recover and I’m sure as a group we will be back there soon.   Tommy FishMan.   
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Im curious and have a couple questions, Bob Hirsch actually showed myself And dad how to catch crappie at Roosevelt,back up in the brush using cane or long extendable poles. And having talks with Bob's son Steven while fishing about Bob's love for  Roosevelt lake I just don't understand why you would have a tournament honoring Bob at Alamo. Just curious

The AZCA is a member driven club. All of our events is put up for vote to active members. Its hard to get club members to vote on a lake that the fishing isn't vary good. Being a great outdoors man that Bob was, I think he would understand the frustration of not catching fish at Rosey and going to another lake that is better fishing.   

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:24 AM »
From what I understand Bob loved to fish and loved to help others catch fish.  That's what we are trying to honor. Hard to do when there is only a handful of fish caught all weekend.  When that lake gets better I'm sure the club will be back if the camground didn't burn up.   

On that note check out what Wheathin found guys. Just speculation but have to spend a few hours on Powell to write a book, he must have loved him some Lake Powell quite a bit too.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:30 AM by Tweeder »

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56 AM »
Dick,

Thanks again for your post & question!

I’m sure it was a very special time for you & your father to have had the opportunity to have fished with Bob Hirsch.  I’m sure your memories of fishing with Bob on Roosevelt Lake when it was in its glory days are cherished memories, as they should be!!  I’m willing to bet that Art Chamberlin has similar cherished memories also.  I’ve only heard talk of those days when the Crappie was plentiful so I’m sure both you & Art can’t wait for the lake to return to its prime.

As other’s have mentioned, the AZCA is a member driven club.  All meeting dates & locations including our derbies are voted upon by club membership.  We have great camaraderie amongst our membership and our weekend outings are enjoyed by all.  The one common denominator we all share, just like you, is the enjoyment of fishing for Crappie.  But the reality of it Dick, is that we all just want to catch a few Crappie & get the chance to tug on a few fish lips.  That in itself is the primary reason the last few BHCC derbies have been held at Alamo Lake.

As everybody is painfully aware of, the past downturn in Crappie fishing at Roosevelt Lake has certainly taken its toll.  As a club, our members vote on club meeting & derby locations that will give them the best chance to put a few Crappie in their livewells.  And in the past few years, the best Crappie bite happened to be at Alamo Lake.  One year, Bob’s son Steven even joined us at Alamo Lake to talk about his father during our club meeting.

We all understand that both you & Art’s memories are of Bob at Roosevelt Lake.  But for a lot of us and for the generations to come, our memories of Bob are from his past writings in books & news articles about being outdoors in all of Arizona, not just Roosevelt Lake.  His writings about hunting, fishing & camping all were about discovering & enjoying the entire state, like the Lake Powell book Tweeder mentioned above for example.  This year our club is venturing to Kaibab Lake for a meeting and there has been talk of the crew heading down to Patagonia Lake in the near future.

So Dick, I hope this very very very long winded reply, along with the other replies, has answered you question.  Your Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:59 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Gizmo4041

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 05:43 AM »
No thoughts, like I said was curious, thanks for the feed back

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal