Author Topic: Fall Fishing Techniques  (Read 2499 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Fall Fishing Techniques
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:50 PM »
I've always been a spring and summer crappie fisherman and am interested in doing some fall fishing this year. However, I have no idea how to fish for crappie during the fall. Do you troll? Cast? Sit over structure?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Fall Fishing Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:53 AM »
CAST
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:17 AM »
That's not a very fair technique assessment from you... you always cast!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Yup that is all I do, I enjoy and at times I catch a fish or two ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 07:42 PM »
I don't have confidence casting in the fall so depending on the scenario...
Trolling - I seem to have better luck in the fall in open water near or over some structure on the bottom. Trolling over deeper trees in the salt end of Rosie or near the island and trees in Cat Bay at Bartlett as examples.  Long line trolling double jig set ups, dropshot minnows, drop shot jigs tipped with minnows, or larger roadrunners tipped with minnows.
Sitting over or near structure - I normally do not sit during the fall unless I am shore fishing which I have done at Show Low Lake, Fools Hollow,and Upper Lake Mary using slip bobbers or night fishing like at Pleasant.   I will add the shore fishing has been few and far between in recent years and was not hugely successful for numbers or size. 
While I have had some nice bags in the fall, it is not my comfort zone and I have had many skunks over the years.
Clouds and a light breeze are my preferred weather   

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for info Tweeder. I've tried doing some research on it myself, but there's very little info on techniques on fall fishing in AZ. A lot of the people said fall is similar to summer, but they're more active. Seems weird that that would be the only difference between summer and fall fishing.

I don't want people to think I'm trying to get some "scoop" for the tournament coming up. I honestly don't know how to fish in the fall. It's actually one of the reasons I never do the BHCC. I just don't want to see other people not going for the same reason so I thought opening up a conversation on how to do it would be helpful. I'm still trying to decide if I can make it.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Tight-line or troll. Don't forget crank baits.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal