Author Topic: Bartlett 11/11 (Happy Veterans Day)  (Read 2234 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Bartlett 11/11 (Happy Veterans Day)
« on: November 11, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Since I wasn't able to fish Saturday before the meeting I decided to head out there today with my wife and 2 kids. We'll just say... at least the kids had some fun on the boat!  ;D

Got a late start (which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me) and went straight up the river just to cruise around and see how different it looks from the spring. It was very different. The big island up past the No Wake markers is completely out of water and several of my favorite spots are out of the water. I cruised around looking for schools and found a few in 26' FOW. Tossed a marker out and stayed within 100 yards of it. I did this for several hours trying different speeds, different set ups, and different depths. I managed a few dink bass and 1 black nose crappie that was just over 10".

Headed up toward the Yellow Cliffs and did the same thing. Graphed my normal trees, found some fish and trolled around as slow as I could while fighting the wind and kids running around the boat. After a few hours I had a couple more dink bass, 2 decent bluegills, and 4 more black nose crappie!

While I didn't have a great day with crappie catch totals, I was pretty excited to catch 5 black nose over 10" in 2 different parts of the lake. These are the guys that were stocked this year on March 6th that were just 3-4 inches long! They've moved around the lake and have gained quite a bit in size in such a short time. Excited for the future of this lake!  :blob1:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:54 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Bartlett 11/11 (Happy Veterans Day)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Thanks for the report Louis, man that one picture the lake looks quiet for Veterans day holiday. Getting real tired of the wind every day all day long at the lakes and in town it is dead calm :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Yeah, it was a lot quieter than I was expecting. Especially with how many people I saw out there on the shore and on the water Saturday after the meeting.

Dave said the wind picked up hard around 11:30 on Saturday, I don't think it actually started getting bad until almost 2 yesterday. Water would have been great, and probably would have caught more fish, if I got out there at 8:00 like I wanted to. I think the AM is still the time to be out there and find them.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Thanks for the report.  For a short drive for us east valley folks, Bartlett is an option to catch some fish.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Buddy went yesterday, said same thing nice till about a little after 11am and then said the wind machine hit. He bought 5 doz minnows at the marina and said only about 2 doz were usable the rest were so small they wouldn't fit on the hook or died very quickly.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:08 AM »
He bought 5 doz minnows at the marina and said only about 2 doz were usable the rest were so small they wouldn't fit on the hook or died very quickly.
I think when possible it's good to buy minnows at the lake stores just to always have multiple options where to buy them and keep these places in business (e.g Apache Lake Marina is now up for sale).  That said, Liar's Korner has had really good minnows last few trips they were healthy and great size.

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29 AM »
So does Fishless believe me now about how big the Black Nose have grown?  See my fish stories are true.....well sometimes.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 09:42 AM »
So does Fishless believe me now about how big the Black Nose have grown?  See my fish stories are true.....well sometimes.
I don't believe he has any other option to believe you! We have photo proof from me and Dave now! lol
I emailed Curt yesterday to let him know. He said it's probably the fish from this stocking and that it's a phenomenal growth rate if it is them for sure. Game and Fish retweeted my photo yesterday on Twitter talking about the BNC I caught over 10".

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Buddy went yesterday, said same thing nice till about a little after 11am and then said the wind machine hit. He bought 5 doz minnows at the marina and said only about 2 doz were usable the rest were so small they wouldn't fit on the hook or died very quickly.

Bruce, I had the same issue with the ones I bought from Cabela's. Lots of tiny minnows and many of them died before I even got to the lake. Changed the water when I got home and had it running on an aerator all night in my Engel Cooler.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal