Author Topic: Painting an Aluminum Boat  (Read 5309 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Painting an Aluminum Boat
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I have a 12' aluminum boat that looks... eh, old and used. I wanted to spruce it up a little bit by painting it. Has anyone here ever painted their aluminum boats? If so, so what paint did you use and where did you get it? How has it held up? Did you use a clear coat afterward to give it a newer, shiny look?

I've never done this before, so any assistance would be great! Thanks guys!

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Painting an Aluminum Boat
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Myself I would just go with Rustoleum for an old 12' boat. Or else you want to go all out and have it done.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:47 AM »
No, I want to do it myself. lol

I was going to buy a paint gun since to do it. I can have multi use of as well since I went through 35+ cans of spray paint last year during Halloween. Sherwin-Williams sells auto pain, so I was just going to go there and get that paint and find a good metal primer. I was just wondering if anyone had done this before and had some info they could share.

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Before you put any paint on it, check into etching the bare aluminum after removing the old paint. There is a citrus (grapefruit) wash out there for that. Good luck.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Louis I did it on an old aluminum I wanted to camo paint for duck hunting, pain in the ass, as Crowbart says you need to etch the aluminum to get the  oxidation off (then quickly before our crappy air with the pollution starts to do it again you paint/spray a good aluminum primer on it, let that dry and then paint a good over coat color. Went through the instructions supplied by paint shop and painter.

2 years later it started peeling the paint off soooooooooooooooo, I would take the boat get some powdered cleanser like ajax wash and etch the aluminum good, make sure there is no gunk left on it and grab the good spray paint can and start (or your paint gun). biggest thing is where the water funs along the aluminum when boat is in the lake is where peeling will start (especially around the rivets) that area needs to be real clean.

good luck
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Check out this thread phreek.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=381699&highlight=repaint+aluminum
 If it doesn't help then ask on this forum. These guys restore boats all the time.

Piscolli

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Clean and prep the hull real good and use a zinc based paint. It will stick.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal