Author Topic: Changes to the Tonto National Forest Resource Management Plan  (Read 1896 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Read full article from this link: https://www.azbackcountryexplorers.com/2019/12/drastic-changes-in-tonto-national-forest.html
You have ability to comment on the draft plan via the above link.  The plan is 1500 pages (wow) so start reading now.

From the article:

The Tonto National Forest is conducting a Resource Management Plan and proposing changes that will affect how you use your public lands.

The plan calls for the decommissioning of recreational sites including campgrounds, dispersed camping sites, trailheads, 4X4 trails and others that are deemed "unsustainable, low use, hazard to Public Safety or have no remarkable destination value".

Likewise, the plan calls for the implementation of permit systems and off-highway vehicle permit zones, as well as the closure, and destruction of, abandoned mines.

Furthermore, the plan recommends 49 additional Wilderness areas, 20 Wild and Scenic Rivers, 5 Botanical areas, and five Natural Research areas.

Visit the above website to find all the information you need to know about the changes and submit comments to the Tonto National Forest. You don't have to be an Arizona resident to participate.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:11 PM by OneBlade »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Changes to the Tonto National Forest Resource Management Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Matt are you saying we are supporting the changes? the thing I fear with FS or BLM what do they consider wilderness areas to be determined which normally means no vehicle access, (Wild rivers and streams)? what the heck does that do? I have seen TNF decide to close areas and they are actually heavily used areas such as verde river below bartlett and areas like the road into devils hole on the verde, so be careful for what we wish for. There was talk several years ago from TNF about closing Indian point camping and possibly the launch ramp due to cost for up keep. I honestly don't trust the FS or BLM to do the right thing when it comes to access into "our" forests and public lands :dontknow: I guess I am going to have to try and read at least some of the 1500 pages :crybaby2:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Changes to the Tonto National Forest Resource Management Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Matt are you saying we are supporting the changes? the thing I fear with FS or BLM what do they consider wilderness areas to be determined which normally means no vehicle access, (Wild rivers and streams)? what the heck does that do? I have seen TNF decide to close areas and they are actually heavily used areas such as verde river below bartlett and areas like the road into devils hole on the verde, so be careful for what we wish for. There was talk several years ago from TNF about closing Indian point camping and possibly the launch ramp due to cost for up keep. I honestly don't trust the FS or BLM to do the right thing when it comes to access into "our" forests and public lands :dontknow: I guess I am going to have to try and read at least some of the 1500 pages :crybaby2:
Bruce, no I didn't intend to show any support or not for the plan and I think my copy/paste from the website accidentally may have hinted that.  I removed a few lines from what I pasted.  I just wanted to post a link to the article for anyone interested.  Finding the impacts to the crappie fishing community, who often are also hunters and other outdoorsmen utilizing vast areas of the TNF, would require further reading into the plan.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal