Author Topic: Crappies ???  (Read 3728 times)

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
Crappies ???
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I am hearing reports of Crappies being caught in Numbers on Pleasant this past weekend , Can any of you guys confirm or deny this ???

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Crappies ???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I can't confirm or deny, but they are in there.

I had 2 very, very nights if crappie fishing there this summer and several years ago I caught a bunch in Castle trolling for stripers this time of year.

Would be awesome to see the numbers up even more at the lake. Where did you hear this?

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 03:23 PM »
When Starlin and I stopped at Wildhorse for minnows they were out and two guys in the parking lot said the reason was they were hitting on Pleasant , I did not much think about it till today , When I got the Club news letter from the Sun City Sportsmans Club and there was a heads up for Crappies hitting in Humbug on Pleasant , SOoo I am to tired to go today but will hit it on Monday let you know how we do .

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:30 PM »
Have not fished for crappie there for months but the back of Castle and Humbug are known crappie spots there are tons of trees in the back of both coves. I think the crappie may be on a come back now with the gizzard shad in the lake, more food for stripers without eating the small crappie :dontknow: hope the idiot county parks gets their head out of their as$ and gets the river launch ramp open this year or the eagles don't know how to raise an egg again on the stupid closure at white cliffs.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:58 PM »
When Starlin and I stopped at Wildhorse for minnows they were out and two guys in the parking lot said the reason was they were hitting on Pleasant , I did not much think about it till today , When I got the Club news letter from the Sun City Sportsmans Club and there was a heads up for Crappies hitting in Humbug on Pleasant , SOoo I am to tired to go today but will hit it on Monday let you know how we do .

That's really interesting. I haven't heard anything about crappie biting at Plez. That really doesn't meant anything, but we have a pretty big group of crappie fishermen, so I would imagine we would hear something somewhere if it was going off.

Good luck if you do go out there. Keep us posted!

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Back in Dec there were guys catching them in open water on cranks.  Saw it on AZ Anglers on FB so it MUST have been true!

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36 PM »
We got out on the water at noon , checked out castle creek ,decided to try the stock pond at the end of Humbug slow trolled .5 minnows caught 1 Striper on  jig in 8 ft moved back into deeper water north side of the pond ( 18-25 ft ) caught 2 and missed 2 had a new fisherman in the Boat took him a few tries to keep a 16 ft pole tight but he did fine on number three, It was very slow watched countless fish come up to the bait and turn. Another Boat also had three crappies also picked them up in Humbug but on the east shore just short of the old stock pond dam they told me the had caught quite few crappy last week at the culverts Castle Creek . I think I can now tell the difference between a Striper and a Crappy on the Livescope and they are there . but it was really slow next trip will be to Bartlett.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40 PM »
That's pretty exciting news to hear. I suck at fishing humbug. Not sure I've ever been able to catch a fish in the back of the cove

We're the crappie over structure or were they suspended in open water?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:04 PM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35 PM »
they were over and around trees in 18 to 25 ft in the stock pond , the same with the ones caught on the east side suspended but within 100 yards of shore . I saw lots of what appeared to be crappies in the back of the cove but it was late and we really did not spend enough time there, lots of those fish were in and near the trees .  snaggy stuff for long poles , better off jigging or drop shotting those fish, the ones we caught we spider rigged over the trees. Lots of shad everywhere.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 08:41 AM »
I have heard of the "waterfall" referenced in humbug for that back cove area but never the "old stock pond" is that referenced somewhere on a map?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal