Author Topic: Man Overboard Boat Emergency Kill Switch  (Read 2828 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Man Overboard Boat Emergency Kill Switch
« on: December 05, 2019, 05:27 PM »
My boat (2003 Alumacraft Tournament Sport 175 with Mercury 125HP) has an emergency kill switch.  But the key, lanyard, and cable are missing. Switching the lever down turns it to off position.  But I don't know what 'key' works to make that happen.

This product on Amazon has multiple keys (see keys.JPG pic below) but confusing how or if they work with the switch I have: https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Lanyard-Mercury-Evinrude-Johnson/dp/B07D9N3BQL

Any ideas?

From Nov 12th at Bartlett this was reported on another social media site:
Sorry about the long post fellow anglers. Yesterday around 1pm I had just put in at Bartlett and was waiting close to the dock for my buddy. I heard some folks yelling and wasn’t sure what was happening. There was a boat thrashing around just outside the buoys. I didn’t respond right away even though there were increasingly frantic yells for help. After a few moments, I realized that I was one of only a handful of people in a position to do anything to help. I headed to the scene and on approach realized there were two young men in the water and right by them, an empty boat on full throttle going around in circles - somebody just posted a video of this. Another boat arrived at the same time I did, we each pulled one of the young men from the water. The chap I pulled from the lake was anxious about repercussions from the boat owner and that he had lost all his fishing tackle. That young man at that moment had no idea how lucky he was. Two young men were pulled from the water, the boat eventually stalled out by lake law enforcement. This was a very sobering incident because it happened so quickly, on a beautiful windless day, and so close to the ramp. For this group – Please – never drive your boat on the main motor without the Man Overboard Kill Switch attached to your belt. You can literally be killed by your own boat if you don’t do this. From my newfound perspective, this is even more important than your life vest. In fact, the young man that climbed into my boat told me he had to dive down twice to avoid being run over by the boat – something he could not have done if he was wearing a life vest and not an issue if the MOB kill switch is used. Secondly, please don’t do what I did – if you hear people yelling – engage immediately, the worst mistake you could make is showing up when somebody is just playing around. Take care on the water fellow Arizona Anglers. For the record, it was a slow bite yesterday at Bartlett.

Offline apenland01

• AZCA Members
Re: Man Overboard Boat Emergency Kill Switch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 06:13 PM »
My Ranger uses the hoop one.  Some of those others won't work with yours, it has to trip the switch to off when it comes out.  I'm sure my lanyard and key is a replacement, but I know it works.  Everytime I get excited and forget to take off the kill switch after getting to a new fishing spot and jump out of the drivers seat, my motor instantly dies.  With all those keys, probably 2-3 will work with your switch.  For $10, you can't beat that.

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Matty Ice...another benefit of using the kill switch is that the easiest way to use it is to simply attach the lanyard to your life jacket.....making wearing your life jacket a priority. Something I’ve done religiously for the past 6 years. It’s a win-win.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Every merc I have owned (and there have been many over the last 60 years) used the Hoop . it goes over the toggle before you turn it up for on and when removed it ( the hoop )it drops the toggle to off . Most people do not believe that an out board will circle when unattended, you witnessed what could have been horrific. On the lighter side at least once every summer I come across folks who are stranded sometimes at the dock sometimes on the water , because no matter what they try the motor will not start , I usually watch for a while then reset the switch for them ,that some how they triggered to off , if I were you I would remove all but the one that belongs to your setup as the added weight of the other keys could cause it to go off when you do not want it to .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:52 PM by craigm »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 07:51 AM »
OK, thanks all. It's tough to visualize how the hoop one works and actually flips the lever but will see when I get it.  Will give it a shot it appears to be this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYD5D2D) OEM Part #15920Q54

Offline apenland01

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:33 AM »
You flip the switch to off, then put the hoop over the switch and then tuck it behind the black teeth above the switch.  When you flip the switch to on, it keeps the hoop locked behind the black teeth and on top of the switch.  If you pull the hoop out, it has no choice but to flip the switch to the off position.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34 AM »
OK, thanks all. It's tough to visualize how the hoop one works and actually flips the lever but will see when I get it.  Will give it a shot it appears to be this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYD5D2D) OEM Part #15920Q54

That's the hoop style I use for my motor, but the one I actually use is the one you have listed in the original post (with all the keys). It works exactly like apenland01 said.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Matt, I have the one you bought. It works as stated above.
SEA.....HAWKS....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal