Author Topic: Yet Another Fish Finder Post  (Read 5551 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Yet Another Fish Finder Post
« on: January 14, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Anyone who has been on my boat knows how horrible the electronics on my boar are. Both fish finders on my boat came with the boat in 2003. They both have "sun burns" and the one on the bow is so bad it's completely useless...  The one at my driver's seat works, but I have to squint my eyes and tilt my head and hope the sun is behind me be able to see anything.

With that, I'm looking to get something relatively cheap for a few years. I've been holding off on getting anything because I want to toss a bad ass system on there, but I have other priorities right now with kids and all.  :laugh:

I'm looking at getting the Lowrance Hook2 (not sure the size yet) because they seem okay and are pretty affordable for a few years. Does anyone have experience with these units? What kind of transducer setup would you suggest?

I also have a terrova with the transducer built in, but I've never used it. Does anyone know if that's a decent thing for my front graph or would it be better to get an upgraded one and just attach it?

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Yet Another Fish Finder Post
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Bump...?

Does any one have a preference on having the side view on your front fish finder? Trying to figure out if spending the extra on side view on the front it worth it or now.

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:37 PM »
You can find good used stuff at texasfishing forum igot Lawrence 7 hds 7 for 200 and he gave me mapping card too

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:44 PM »
I use 2 HDSI transducers. One on the transom, one on the trolling motor. I'm actually getting ready to add 360 to the trolling motor, and loose the front ducer. My setup worked great. Only thing I didn't like was all the breaks in the screen when using the front ducer while making turns. One of the reasons I'm going to 360.

In your case, I would just get a set up with a transom ducer only. If you are going to upgrade down the road, why spend money on stuff you are more than likely going to replace.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 05:39 PM »
For the time being, are you thinking one graph mounted on the console in such a way you can also see it while sitting upfront?  Turning the graph so you can see it while searching for fish using your big motor, then turning it so you can see it while sitting upon front while using TM?

a bit old school here but...... get a used SI/DI unit, mount it at your console.  Get two HDSI transducers mounting one aft & the other mount on your TM.  You connect the two transducers to a transducer switch and from there to your graph.  That way while looking for fish you select the aft transducer & while sitting upfront select the TM transducer.  Yes, you'll have to turn around to see your graph but....

Or, as Champ mentioned, keep your pennies in your piggy bank for awhile longer   :greengrin:

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:55 PM »
I really like having two different displays. Plus, the way my boat was cut out and designed, I have these slots specifically designed to hold fish finders, so I want to put them in there.

I'm starting to lean toward just replacing my front fish finder (which hasn't worked for 10 years) with the Garmin Striker Plus 7CV. I'll skip the side view up front, because I just don't feel like I need it for how I fish, and  I'll stick to the CHIRP traditional sonar plus CHIRP ClearVü (for a Garmin).

When I'm ready to go big, maybe I'll switch to the single transducer on the back, but I definitely like knowing what the front of the boat is over instead of the back. I'll just have to see. Then I'll need to figure out the display I'll use for my dash because I currently have a 4" on there, and I'm not sure where I can add a bigger one. It's pretty crowded at the steering wheel on my Triton.

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:15 AM »
I use 2 HDSI transducers. One on the transom, one on the trolling motor. I'm actually getting ready to add 360 to the trolling motor, and loose the front ducer. My setup worked great. Only thing I didn't like was all the breaks in the screen when using the front ducer while making turns. One of the reasons I'm going to 360.

In your case, I would just get a set up with a transom ducer only. If you are going to upgrade down the road, why spend money on stuff you are more than likely going to replace.

Are going with 360 Mega? If not, I-have a 360 transom mount for like $500. Looking at a 360 Mega but it won’t work on my  Terova.  Looking for mounting options???
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:59 AM »

Are going with 360 Mega? If not, I-have a 360 transom mount for like $500. Looking at a 360 Mega but it won’t work on my  Terova.  Looking for mounting options???

I bought a used non mega 360 for my trolling motor. Came with the mounting adapter for Terrova from Cornfield Crappie.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 09:51 PM »
After talking to a few of you and doing a little more research I decided I wanted to in the Garmin direction... However, I just got an adverisement from BPS that they have the Lowrance Elite-9 TI TotalScan is on sale for $599 (They're advertising that it's $400 off).

It's 9", has SideScan, DownScan, Chartplotting, and is a touch screen. Does anyone have personal experience with this one?

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 08:53 AM »
I was a Lowrance guy since the original Green box 1967 ? , I bought a Garmin 93plus vs last year for 599 then the livescope , before I bought the livescope the 93pluss was run in all modes next to a HDS9 touch there was no contest the garmin showed better views in all three chirp modes 2d downscan,side scan , if you can manage it the 93plus vs has been discontinued and is being replaced by the ultra series . it can be had new on line for 500-600 and will support livescope . (livescope is an option costing 1400 ) I am speaking from over 12 months of using Garmin and Livescope . nothing out there is better for finding and catching crappy period . If you would like to see it in action I would be happy to arrange a time where you can see it in action Bartlett or Pleasant ? Garmin is the least expensive way to get good hd sonar and the addition of livescope makes it a nobrainer. Sat on Bartlett Orien and Hambone met me on the water at Bartlett. While we were in talking range separate boats I found and caught 5 crappies 2 a double ,.located and tracked them on my Livescope . I am able to locate schools 100 ft from the boat direct the boat to the school place the bait at the level of the fish and hold the boat in them as the school moves. I do not work for Garmin ,just paying it forward ,for what we do there is nothing out there right now that is even close in performance or economy. again if you want to see it before you buy give me a PM for my phone or check the club records and we can work something out jusr do not pull the trigger before you see this work and oh yeah the Striker will not support panoptix or livescope it is not the unit you need the Echo Map is .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal