Author Topic: Yet Another Fish Finder Post  (Read 5546 times)

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Re: Yet Another Fish Finder Post
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Craig,

I'm also in the market and have been contemplating going with Garmin.  Do you fine the live scope only beneficial if you are vertically fishing or can it be used for spider rigging and or casting for Crappie.  All of the videos I've seen they have been fishing a vertical presentation.  I'd like to know your thoughts since you already have it.  Thanks.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 09:41 PM »
Imagine downscan in full motion realtime , then with the ability to directional scan side back 360 all in realtime full motion, I have used it successfully to Spyder rig and also casting to fish , Livescope identifies fish out to 200 ft  I use it at 100 ft range and less while trolling and scanning , my tranducer ( have the 32 model) is mounted on the trolling motor 8 inches infront of the motor ( eliminates all interference) so where ever I point the motor it shows me what is directly infront of it ( you can set it to down scan but I have not used it that way yet . I am going to use it this summer for walleyes up north but have not yet.By using the remote hand control on my Terrova I scan side to side Up to 360 degrees , again using the hand remote you can shut off the motor to scan 360 degrees if you want to .The live scope tells me exactly where the fish are in depth and distance in what ever direction I point it, I then maneuver the boat directly  with my terrova into the fish , with the baits adjusted to the exact depth of the target fish I can place my longpole baits right in them everytime . Thursday my Buddy Glenn was stunned and cracked up laughing the first time I did it, I pointed the ducer at a school ( which shows up clearly on the screen ) and we watched the fish in real time  take the bait right at the end of a 16 ft pole , the pole shook we set the hook  26 times . For a guy who fishes like Fishless you would target the fish, place the boat where you wanted cast out the distance to the fish count down your bait and hope they are hungry for what you threw .It will not make them bite but it will put you right on the fish . Right now the re are $200 rebates on the Livescope options ihave the 1499 model transducer and black box . the Black box take a additional power source a 10 guage wire directly to the Battery and a 7.5 amp breaker but I have found that with my Engel drawing 12 volts and the 93sv plus running the additional electric draw runs the battery down to 11.6 volts and it stays there for up to 7 hours . This boat does not have an AGM battery for a starter when I change it up I will replace it with the a NorthStar 31 (like my walleye boat) that is the only thing special about an install and my current group 27 handles it ok . If you can arrainge a time I would be happy to give you a demo on the lake , I have last years 93 touch screen and a 94 (saltwater model) the new models not only have chirp tech in every mode they now have a high def transducers . I may get a 12 inch as my eyes are not getting any younger but a 7 inch will work for spyder rigging

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 06:07 AM »
I found this on another site it is a bit long but really describes the function of different types of Sonar including Livescope , http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1034513 , there is a utube video several posts down

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 04:08 PM »
After talking to a few of you and doing a little more research I decided I wanted to in the Garmin direction... However, I just got an adverisement from BPS that they have the Lowrance Elite-9 TI TotalScan is on sale for $599 (They're advertising that it's $400 off).

It's 9", has SideScan, DownScan, Chartplotting, and is a touch screen. Does anyone have personal experience with this one?

I got my Garmin with built in mapping and as Craig says there is no comparison between a Garmin and the Lowrance I have the Lowrance Elite 7 chirp etc. Finally installed my Garmin WOW  much clearer down and now side scan, very easy with the touch screen for an old fool to program it is an impressive graph so far. This Garmin unit was $1099 got it on sale at BPS during there pre black Friday sale for $599. BPS has a big boat show coming up soon they may have that Garmin on sale if your lucky :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 06:22 PM »
And I thought it could not get any better,   https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200225005050/en/?fbclid=IwAR25WHfsiLxW_MaKwXUUTTW1NjkxgjU2up0mNJyUi8yf2xVP-pkUWNmdLh8 , the download is free , I will be back in Az Wed hope to have this downloaded in time to get to Alamo on Sat, look like a garmin version of MEGA for free

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50 AM »
I'm finally gonna be running with the big boys now! Finally upgrading my fish finder.

Got is $400 off because it's "last year's" model.  :blob1:

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Congradulations , you will not regret it

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 03:01 PM »
I'm finally gonna be running with the big boys now! Finally upgrading my fish finder.

Got is $400 off because it's "last year's" model.  :blob1:

That be it, take your time reading the manual and mess with it on the lake the dang thing can launch a missile, you can program each feature and it takes a while you can do some preliminary set up in the drive way with the unit on 
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50 PM »
That be it, take your time reading the manual and mess with it on the lake the dang thing can launch a missile, you can program each feature and it takes a while you can do some preliminary set up in the drive way with the unit on 

This is the one you got at BPS on Black Friday, right? The BPS guy said it was the same sale they had for Black Friday because they were trying to get rid of them because of the new models for this year. It was a pretty awesome deal and won't be a "temporary" one like I was looking for.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 09:17 PM »

This is the one you got at BPS on Black Friday, right? The BPS guy said it was the same sale they had for Black Friday because they were trying to get rid of them because of the new models for this year. It was a pretty awesome deal and won't be a "temporary" one like I was looking for.
  that is the right one ,93 plus sv , chirp in all 3 modes ,Livescope will work on it as an upgrade if you want to go that route

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal