Author Topic: Camping at San Carlos  (Read 8079 times)

Offline cjw2222

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Camping at San Carlos
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Nice! My late-season archery bull tag for 2010 resulted in tag soup.

Those november hunts are TOUGH.  Bitter cold and no rut activity makes me want to  :banghead:.  I prefer waiting 5-7 years for a great hunt than 2-3 years for a crapshoot.  Mind me asking what part of the state it was in?

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Hi Cory, welcome to the site!

I'm an archery hunter as well, though I have yet to tag an elk.  :angry3:
I won't ask for any specifics out of respect, but what unit did you tag him?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 05:52 AM »
they have problems at times at SC but heck they problems at all the lakes, thefts at alamo and roosevelt so it can happen anywhere, they do have a gang problem on the reservation but we have gangs in our cities, if alcohol flows then it can get silly but as Piscolli says there are people camping on mohave point and other areas, set up where there are other people camping.

just an advisory note, they have had some problems with boat trailer thefts and some vehicle breakins just make sure you lock your trailer, (they cut them up for scrap) and sell them!!! and if you have a problem like a theft on the reservation SC PD will not take a report you have to wait for Gila county sheriff to send a deputy out (since you are non tribal) just be smart lock up things and camp where there are others and you should be fine. (good idea to take an older weapon) for self protection.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sandman

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Nice! My late-season archery bull tag for 2010 resulted in tag soup.

Those november hunts are TOUGH.  Bitter cold and no rut activity makes me want to  :banghead:.  I prefer waiting 5-7 years for a great hunt than 2-3 years for a crapshoot.  Mind me asking what part of the state it was in?

Unit 4B. And yes, it was dammed cold! So cold that the water lines froze on the RV.

No elk activity at all. Hunted 8 days. At least I wasn't at work.

Offline simmons

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Hey Cory,

No bother kid, lots of anglers camping and fishing this time of year.  Keep your sidearm close by if it helps, but I've not had any problems for over 15 years camping around the lake.  I did however need a firearm at Roosevelt 5 years ago when camp hosts and park rangers could not handle 10 unruly families from south of the border that took over Coati Mundi campground.  Let's just say I'll never pay a state park fee ever again!  :violent-smiley-007: The local folks at SC are generally nice, and I'm sure there's a few turds too...just like everywhere else we go.  Enjoy!  I'll look for the dodge for a freebee.

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal