Author Topic: CRAPPIE RODS  (Read 4143 times)

Offline RackmasterRon

• AZCA Members
CRAPPIE RODS
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:05 PM »
I was in Cabelas today shopping for long crappie rods. The staff didn't know much about crappie fishing, but the guy showed me a long 12 foot rod that collapsed to about three feet. It looked like a great idea, but we couldn't find if it would support a 1 oz weight. So I came home with nothing. I have been told BnM, southern crappie  rods are good.   

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
Re: CRAPPIE RODS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:03 PM »
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/b-n-m-pro-staff-crappie-trolling-rod , try this one order to store for free but it is faster to order them to your home , I have all B n M rods I have tried others these are the most durable I have found , SInce Bass pro took over Cabelas neither store stocks long rods any more , the same holds for Sportsmans Wharehouse . There are other online sources , Google it ,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:08 PM by craigm »

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Wish I could help more on the subject, but all the long rods I have I won in our tournament raffles, so I've never had to shop for one!

Tons of guys here buy those long rods, and they all love BnM and Southern Crappie. Southern Crappie has always hooked up the club, so it's cool to support them. Here's a rod with SC that might suit your needs.

Southern Crappie - SCR 143 T - 2oz

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 02:25 PM »
the one PhishingPhreek recommended is good and supports 2oz weight.  I would not go 12ft go 14ft or I personally would go 16ft.  I've even pondered some cane poles no sh!t perhaps 20ft pay $3.99 and really get in front of the boat:
https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13305873/cane-pole-crappie

Offline Bob

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Having used most I would suggest Southern Crappie rods as second best to Denali's.  I've moved up to their 18' rods, run 2 oz weights and can lift a 2.5lb fish into the boat with them.  They are bright white and very easy to see light bites with.

https://www.denalirods.com/prymeseries-2.aspx

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 04:44 PM »
after 12 months of watching Crappies on Livescope I have not noticed any difference in fish being boat shy from a 14 or 16 ft rod I have noticed under some conditions that the trolling motor can sometimes make them skitterish so I shut it off when I cruise into a school the distance from the boat is not as important as noise ,or prop disturbance, I have not used 18 or 20 ft rods so I can not make that anology . I use 16s in fron and side 14s ( I only have 4 16s)I think Art used 20s maybe he can comment .Oh yeah the BnM rods can handle 2 oz no problems including stopping a moving boat when snagged and doubled over without breaking ( do not ask ) Wally Marshall crap from Bass pro can not .

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Ed from Southern crappie is a great guy & gave us a free rod for our raffle last year.
But you can't go wrong with B&M poles.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33 PM »
I have 8 B'nM poles: (2) 10'. (2) 12'. and (4) 14" and love them! I've had them for ten years and they have held up very well. .....Art

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 08:12 AM »
I currently have both BNM and Southern Crappie rods in 12 and 14 foot. I like them all equally, but find I use the 14 foot rods more. I am adding Garmin Livescope to my boat, so I will be upgrading my 12s to 16 foot rods. I'll be selling my 12 footers if you are interested let me know. One is a southern crappie, the other is a BNM panfish special.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Having used most I would suggest Southern Crappie rods as second best to Denali's.  I've moved up to their 18' rods, run 2 oz weights and can lift a 2.5lb fish into the boat with them.
Bob, do you make your own liters?  I buy Capps and Coleman but only found up to 1oz and I want to increase to 1.5oz or 2oz.  The 1oz are even hard to find. I'm really slow at tying lines would love to just buy them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal