Author Topic: Report for Sunday March 29  (Read 3352 times)

Offline RackmasterRon

• AZCA Members
Report for Sunday March 29
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:13 PM »
Got lines in  at Alder Cove around 930 am. Just a couple of boats in the shallows casting. I set up my 2 new BnM  12 footers with Cap n Coleman. Minnows with Aberdeen hook on one and green jigs minnows on the other. Around 10:30 I boated a nice black Crappie 13 inches long. There were lots of Grebes up and down the cove. I noticed several schools of what I would call suckers or carp. They were right the surface and one school was 50 long and 10 feet wide several dozen fish that looked like a 1 to 3 lb size. Mid day I tried the No Wake Buoys up north, but quite breezy and lots of site seeing boats. Headed back to Alders. I was trying to troll slow, but my one oz. wt seemed to drag back under the boat. Had to stop and start trolling to keep a slow pace. Enough breeze to drift with wind and trolling motor not used. Just before I had to quit I hooked a feisty Crappie. As it came to the boat I saw it was the size of a banjo! It was huge, but my fumbling with this long rod banged him against the boat resulting in him getting away. I am learning something every time I fish and today I learned how not to land a big crappie when I am alone.   Landing net will be purchased before my next trip...   

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Report for Sunday March 29
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:20 AM »
Sucks you lost that big one. I think everyone has an unfortunate story like that. I've done it a few times. 🤬

Glad you were able to get into some though.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:45 AM »
RackmasterRon great story, thanks for the report.  The one that got away will always drive you to go back.  Good noticing going too fast.  With the 12ft poles and wind and if going too fast, those lines can become non-vertical good to adjust.
I was at home yesterday wondering why I was - should have been on the lake but I assumed it was a zoo there. Where did you dock your boat at?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for the report, don't feel bad I loose them casting with a 6' rod they are well hooked just come unbuttoned. Alder seems to get a green algae in there at times especially when the lake is full, the carp come in and surface feed on that gunk plus they are getting ready to spawn, you get close to a school feeding with your boat and they scare and splash down almost looks like a game fish boil for a moment. Lots of shad hang out in Alder and the greebes know it.

What was the water temp in Alder?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline RackmasterRon

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45 PM »
Temp was around 65. I have a membership at the marina so I leave with the bass tracker from there. Waiting to here reports from today, Monday

Offline Unit9Elk

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Funny comment, OneBlade, I was sitting here thinking why wasn't I doing something other than sitting at home obsessing about junk that I can't control... I'm going to go out Friday and will report back... I emailed the marina and Bryan at the store said they were open for bait...

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42 PM »
I'm going to go out Friday and will report back...

Did you end up going out on Friday?

Offline Unit9Elk

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Unfortunately I did not make it, hoping for tomorrow...

Offline Unit9Elk

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 10:52 AM »
With the wind expected for wednesday, I am postponing until thursday... weather permitting... fingers crossed!

Offline Unit9Elk

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 01:49 PM »
I just called the marina store and they didn't answer and the VM was full, should I assume the store is closed for minnows?
Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal