Author Topic: Bartlett 4/19  (Read 2159 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Bartlett 4/19
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:50 PM »
On the water 6:30am to beat the rush still fairly busy parking looked 1/3 full already.  Headed up river we used spider rig setup 4 poles up front just bare minnows. Starting around 10am, the bluegill came in and made it difficult.  They kept biting tails off our minnows and stealing our bait.  We ran out of minnows around 11 or so.  We caught 20 crappie - 8 or so were blacknose or less than 12" we threw back.  Actually, we only kept 8 and threw the rest back including a nice 15" one - freezer is full still have some Lake Powell walleye.  Saw Bill Piscoli and Judy fishing and Marv and Stevert at the ramp.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Bartlett 4/19
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Good job Matt, those blue gills can be a pain in the butt with a jig also, they tear the tail off :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:19 AM »
did those 1 1/2 oz weights make a difference for you or did you troll slower than usual ? both or none ? Mac and I are going to try to get out there Thursday

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58 AM »
did those 1 1/2 oz weights make a difference for you or did you troll slower than usual ? both or none ?
Because I was restricting my trolling to a small area my speed was expected to be 0.5mph or less.  And then I ended up just spot locking over an area so the weight didn't matter.  So I only had 1 pole using the newer drop shot with 1 1/2oz setup.  I do believe those 1 1/2oz weights will matter when I troll over a larger area more looking for the schools.  Unfortunately I found out in the ones I tied I think the distance between each hook and weight is smaller than I'd prefer.  I'll need to retie those I like the distance between hooks and weight in the store-bought capps and coleman liters.

Offline Unit9Elk

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 04:36 PM »
Headed out in the morning,,, going to go early so beat the heat, so no minnows for me tomorrow... will report back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal