Author Topic: Possible Bartlett Trip 5/16  (Read 1461 times)

Offline GearHead

Possible Bartlett Trip 5/16
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Hey guys. Been to Roosevelt a lot. Was looking and saw that if I go through Phoenix instead of Globe it is only about 10 minutes longer of a drive to Bartlett from Tucson then it is to Roosevelt. With that being said I am thinking about making a trip there Saturday. Unfortunately I have never gone to this lake. Any body got some tips they are willing to share? Just general tips, I don’t need coordinates to honey holes or anything. Maybe more specific then keep the boat above water and your bait under. Saw on a recent post about some no wake zones and you can go back 1+ miles beyond those. Where approximately does that no Wake zone start? Tried looking for buoys on google earth where that might be but didn’t see them. Navionics map does not appear to show them either. Figure with how busy lakes have been I probably want to fish in a no wake area instead of getting bounced around all morning. Just trying to get a general lay of the land before I go. I appreciate any help. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Possible Bartlett Trip 5/16
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:15 PM »
Surprised it would only be 10 mins more to Bartlett from Tucson instead of Rosy? ck ADOT website the 101 has been closed a bunch in areas on the weekend. Get there VERY early on a Saturday only one ramp and it is a zoo by 8:30am or so and often the ramp closes early they shut the gate till people leave. If you find Echo cove on a map right in that area is where the no wakes start and it is much less crazy it is a long ways from main ramp, later in the morning/day the lake down lake will be an ocean lots of wake board boats going both direction on a narrow lake. Rosy is so big a lot of boats seem like no big deal, Bartlett is long and narrow and you will have boats everywhere, not to scare you off just be ready for very busy conditions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:20 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Correct, unless they've reopened the Yellow Cliff boat ramp launch, you'll need to launch from the main ramp and it will be very busy on Sat/Sun so get there early early early.  Then, after you launch head all the way down lake as Fishless said you'll pass yellow cliffs and continue on down until it narrows you'll see no wake buoys.  People have fished the island (underwater) after the buoys as you take a right turn you could try all that area has trees near shoreline on left side if heading up river.  But yeah you could continue further on down no wake zone go slow or you'll get a ticket past ship rock take a left and then head to the end there are some trees underwater.
Also, people had luck in Alder cove early spring as well - that's not in now wake zone rather not too far from yellow cliffs/SB cove area - get a Fish-n-Map from store they are great mapping out AZ lakes.  Some do well without minnows.... but I'd suggest you bring them.  May try crankbait as well don't know I'm less familiar with using them for crappie.
AZGFD stopped me last time to check for fire estinguisher, life jacket, throwable, and license so make sure you are legal of course and 15 crappie limit.
Saw reports on social media Bartlett on fire not necessarily for crappie but 'other' fish so if all else fails try that.
Good luck!

Offline GearHead

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11 PM »
I ran it on my iPhone maps and yeah supposedly only 10 minutes longer BUT it does have me take the 101 so Fishless that info is super helpful. I will have to try to see what the deal is with that tonight. If I go I usually try to launch at 6 so hopefully that is not a problem. Ocean like conditions on the other hand is concerning. Lol. I am use to being on rosy in the afternoon when the wind kicks up and it white caps, are we talking worse then that? I usually like to take minnows but I looked and don’t think anywhere on my way up has them that is open that early. Unfortunately at least to the best of my knowledge no one down here in Tucson sells them anymore. Not a problem going to rosy cause that fuel station with the attached subway sells them in globe. Definitely going back and forth on going to Bartlett or rosy now. Decisions decisions. Thank you guys for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:34 PM »
I think one blade means head up lake, if you launch at 6 a.m. you should be fine it's later in the morning when it becomes crazy. It's just a lot of wakeboard and ski boats so you get those rolling waves coming in at all directions but if you've been in windy situations at Roosevelt you'll be fine just be careful because you know those people don't look when they're driving. I never use minnows so I do not know where a person could get those close to Bartlett, Bartlett Marina store sometimes have them but they normally don't open till 9 and sometimes their selection is terrible I've Been Told
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:36 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal