Author Topic: First time crappie fishing at Roosevelt lake  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Gilbertfishin

First time crappie fishing at Roosevelt lake
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I’m going up to Roosevelt lake this weekend to try and catch crappie for the first time. Any tips for where to fish and what to use? I’ll be fishing from a kayak and don’t have a fish finder so I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to find any crappie

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: First time crappie fishing at Roosevelt lake
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 06:30 AM »
User swikmo and Art Chamberlain both may have some tips, but don't know if they'll see this post.  Bruce Fishless, any tips?

Pickup minnows from Liar's Korner in east Mesa or Ron in Globe (480-694-5207) that may help.  I'm not even sure which would be better for ya, Tonto or Salt end.

There is another post in this Roosevelt Lake forum with similar question you may follow that.  And here's swikmo's report from May 5: http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,4390.0.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:37 AM by OneBlade »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Your crazy to go on a holiday weekend :dontknow: but if you do the spawn is over, kayak out on the main lake could be dangerous with all the boats (and many of them with out common sense). A safe choice I think would be to launch at Indian point ramp and paddle (not that far of a trip) up into the Tonto creek end of the lake, it is a forest up there with trees and flooded brush but the ski boats and pleasure boats don't venture up there. Lots and lots of submerged trees to fish with jigs or minnows, work your way around the trees and if you find a crappie to bite probably will have a school there to fish for a while. I would just work your way through the area, heck even if the crappie are not biting the bass should be and with a kayak it would be a neat way to explore the area.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Gilbertfishin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline swikmo

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48 PM »
i think fishless has the right idea. i dragged minnows and jigs and small cranks the past cpl trips on the salt end across from schoolhouse and even the coves for 0 crappie. heck,i have 2 fish finders and cant find them,dont feel to bad lol. good luck out there!

Offline Gilbertfishin

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 04:14 PM »
i think fishless has the right idea. i dragged minnows and jigs and small cranks the past cpl trips on the salt end across from schoolhouse and even the coves for 0 crappie. heck,i have 2 fish finders and cant find them,dont feel to bad lol. good luck out there!

Thanks!

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Last time I was there a few weeks ago we fished uplake from Schoolhouse. We fished flooded trees and brush in about 25 fow, and then up in the river with minnows. Only boated 3 crappie in the circled area in the attachment. Old Earth pic, as that is all now flooded.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I wish I could help but post spawn is the toughest time of the year for me. All I caught two mornings this week fishing vertical in the trees were largemouth, yellow bass, catfish, and several big bluegill. I can't find the crappie! By the way, with all the people up here were having a terrible time even getting on the internet so if you don't hear from me, that's why! Have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend! .......Art 

Offline OneMoreCast

• AZ Home Guide
Re: Minnows at Roosevelt lake
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Does anybody know if minnows are available yet at Rosy or on the way into Rosy on either end? Are minnows a thing of the past at Roosevelt?  :(

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 11:56 AM »
Your one option in Globe is Ron he may have some.  He's a guy out of his house so text/call in advance and be very clear when you'll be by to pick them up.  480-694-5207
M&S Marine is also on the Salt end again you'd want to call in advance, make sure they have some in stock, and their hours of operation: (928) 467-2351
Best chance for success is Liars Korner in east mesa they'll have some.
I'm not sure what's available if coming in from the Tonto end.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal