Author Topic: Bartlett - June 5 (It's late, I know)  (Read 1632 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Bartlett - June 5 (It's late, I know)
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Got to the lake just after 6:00. First row was already full, but there was only 1 other boat launching. Fished with my mother-in-law (who didn't actually fish) and her friend Karen. This was Karen's first time crappie fishing so I knew I was going to be doing some lessons out there.

We went straight up the river past the no wake markers and fished for crappie until noon. I managed to boat 11 REALLY nice black crappie, 1 black nose, and lost another black crappie at the boat when my other pole got stuck. Also managed several bass and 1 cat (if that's your thing).
I fished minnows on Aberdeens with a drop shot rig. Trolled as slow as I could and just bounced around submerged trees the whole time. Depth ranged from 14-22 FOW. but I consistently caught them at 10-12 feet below surface. I was the only one to catch any crappie.

After we were done crappie fishing I took my MIL and Karen on a tour of the lake, since Karen had never been up the lake that far and my MIL had never even been on my boat! We went further back than I ever have and it was awesome! It's so green and the scenery is amazing back there! There were fish boils everywhere, so Karen kept getting excited and wanted to try tossing some of her baits at them. So we fished for another 3 hours. I tossed kalin grubs and caught over 20 bass. She experimented with a lot of her stuff and finally caught some bass and bluegills (and even a rock) with a blue Kastmaster.

We all had tons of fun! In fact, Karen went and got herself an annual Tonto pass and has been back to Bartlett twice since then! She was asking about joining the club, so I told her to come to our meeting on Saturday to check it out. Not sure if she will, but she's definitely into crappie fishing. She just needs to catch one now. :)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Bartlett - June 5 (It's late, I know)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Thanks for the report Louis, wondering where did Karen get her annual pass? the FS offices have been closed to entry for months now. It is amazing with the lake up how far you can go upstream almost to Devils hole on the Verde.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:57 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:57 AM »
When I left the lake, it looked like the ranger station was opened.

I'll ask her and find out though. Since I'm not working right now, I might as well go fishing more. I'll a Tonto pass for that.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Thanks Louis
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal