Author Topic: Saguaro Christmas Tree Drop  (Read 1376 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Saguaro Christmas Tree Drop
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Didn't realize they were doing this but they dropped some Christmas trees in Saguaro for some new habitats: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/old-christmas-trees-being-dropped-into-saguaro-lake-to-make-fish-habitats

Anyone ever caught some crappie in Saguaro?

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Saguaro Christmas Tree Drop
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I had no idea this was happening until I saw a post on the G&F Facebook page on Friday.
I feel like I've heard of people catching them there, but I never have. In fact, I've never been to saguaro!

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 04:40 PM »
As most people know, I absolutely love when the bass spawn hits Saguaro lake. And I would say that every other year, I find a male crappie up in the shallows bedding amongst the bass. Over the last 7 years living on the East side, I’ve probably caught under 10 total crappie....and never more then 1 on any given date.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:49 PM »
Same here caught an occasional crappie at Saguaro when fishing for bass or blue gill. That lake up till a couple years ago used to be killer for big blue gill when they move up to spawn in the late spring and recently that has not been happening :dontknow: With all the rocky shoreline and aquatic weeds and gravel areas (where the bluegill spawn) don't know why the crappie population is so low in that lake. Talked to g and f they actually had 12 volunteers or so and they did not drop as many trees as at Bartlett (one reason there were not as many trees this year) both Whitfield and Moon Valley nursery who volunteered trees actually sold out of trees this year.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal