Author Topic: Minnows  (Read 1806 times)

Offline nickt

Minnows
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:21 PM »
I call the Alamo store and they don’t sell any more minnows.
Coming from Blythe/Quartzite.. where is the nearest place I can get minnows? Will be camping at Alamo for couple days.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Minnows
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any places along the way for minnows.  I'd suggest tip jig with tiny piece of nightcrawler or crappie powerbait nibbles, or perhaps try those gulp alive minnows or crankbaits.  Of some folks do well with jig no minnow I don't know how they do it but could try that.  In Phoenix, your choices are Cabalas, maybe Bass Pro Shop ??), and Liars Korner (east Mesa).  Let us know how you end up doing.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:59 PM »
If they still sell them (heard minnows are hard to come by this year) anywhere. The Wild Horse bar at Lake Pleasant and State route 74 used to sell minnows, longgggggggggg drive but maybe closure than into Phx. to buy them (might call first).
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline nickt

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:09 PM »
A friend of mine tell me to bring minnow traps and let it sit around the launch ramp area.. he saw a bunch of minnows in the area...
it’s not a really bad idea... let it soak while I go fishing 👍

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:08 PM »
We had purchased a cast/throw net after seeing a guy catch crappie at Alamo right next to us one after another and we got skunked.  He was catching shad and using them as bait.

Problem with shad is they die very quickly.  I had caught about 100 in 1 throw and maybe 10 lived in the livewell.

If you can catch regular minnows, that would be the ticket IMO.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 05:42 AM »
We had purchased a cast/throw net after seeing a guy catch crappie at Alamo right next to us one after another and we got skunked.  He was catching shad and using them as bait.

Problem with shad is they die very quickly.  I had caught about 100 in 1 throw and maybe 10 lived in the livewell.

If you can catch regular minnows, that would be the ticket IMO.

I see the shad fishermen at Pleasant all the time and they take a 55gal or 25 gallon plastic barrel and cut it in half or thirds and run a pump into the barrel and a drain out the side, quite a set up. I asked a couple of them one day why the barrel instead of just the live well or minnow bucket and they said shad are so fragile (heck you look at them and they die) that the shad will run into square containers and kill them selves :dontknow: with the round barrel they move around in a circular motion and stay alive for a long time. Shad I hear die or stress out in low water temps also. I tried a shad net years ago and caught myself more than shad trying to throw the dang thing. I did get shad and put them in the live well a bunch died in the livewell and man they plugged up the overflow tubes etc. almost flooded the boat when the live well over filled.  :o
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:44 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Bob

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Started using shad a LONG time ago for white bass and crappie on Pleasant.  The key to keep them very alive and active is a round tank with constant incoming lake water into their noses.  I've still got that tank but no longer use it.  20 gallons with the water flowing only one direction, guess what that direction is?  Will need a large screened overflow back to the lake using a lay flat hose all the way into the water to stop the annoying noise. 

That kept hundreds alive for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:55 PM by Bob »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal