Author Topic: Crappie fishing for flatheads?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
Crappie fishing for flatheads?
« on: April 25, 2021, 01:22 PM »
I took my old man to Bartlett yesterday to go after some crappie.  After about 2 hours of trolling after first light, my father hooked up with a flat head that hit a bbc tipped with a minnow!  This actually happened to me many years ago night fishing at Bartlett and I fought the beast for two and a half hours before he wrapped around the tumbleweed and broke my 6 lb test.  Well this time between my father and myself we work together as a team and landed a 25 lb Flathead on 6 lb test line! I'm not sure but it might be close to some kind of record... I'm curious if any other fishermen have had similar experiences?

The line did actually break at the surface while I tried to put my hand in this Gill.  My next instinct was to stick my left hand in his mouth, he bit down as I grabbed and I Noodled him in the boat!

I have not caught a crappie yet this season but I have a hell of a lot of catfish meat in the freezer!  :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 01:27 PM by Rocko »
Rocky

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Crappie fishing for flatheads?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:47 PM »
It's been awhile since I've caught a cat while fishing for crappie, and never caught one that big.  Bartlett produces some big cats and there are some die-hards out there (Flathead Ed).  Amazing that 6lb line can hold glad you got it in the boat successfully.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 04:26 PM »
I have caught a few thru the years on my crappie jig but not "moby dick" like that. Congratulations on working that long to land that beast on 6lb test .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Nice catch! It's always fun hearing stories of people catching huge cats while targeting crappie or other smaller fish.

I was fishing in a bass tourney many years ago that had a "goon fish" option. A couple guys were targeting crappie in the tires at Roosevelt with spoons and ended up landing a MASSIVE flathead. I swear I remember it being almost 50 pounds, but I don't remember for sure.

I was trolling for crappie with my brother and his friend at Bartlett about 10 years ago. We thought we had a nice flathead on line for about 20 minutes before it surfaced and we saw it was a turtle! We got it into the boat after nearly an hour.

Congrats on the nice catch!

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 02:57 PM »
When Kasey was small we caught a 45 1/2 lb. Flathead on the edge of the drop on Goose Flats. It came on a 1/4 ounce spoon on 6 lb. Berkley Fireline on a 6 foot crappie rod. It was 8 inches between the eyes and 13 inches from corner of the mouth to corner of the mouth and was 48 inches long! It took 29 minutes and when we got it to the boat Kasey ran to the back corner of the boat and would come out. I can't locate the pictures. .......Artt

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Wow Art 45 lbs on 6 lb test!! I don't know.... that sounds kind of like a fish story without any pictures to back it up   Lol 😂 that's amazing! After what we just went through to get 25 lb of Flathead into the boat I can't imagine a 45 pounder.  Wow!  Thanks for the reply fellas...
Rocky

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal