Author Topic: Crappie Fishing Reports  (Read 1278 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Crappie Fishing Reports
« on: April 26, 2023, 07:17 AM »
With the rise of social media in the last decade, there has been a slow decline in crappie fishing reports on this site. While there are occasional fishing reports in the members-only forum, public reports are now scarce. AZCA members and non-members are encouraged to share fishing reports in the public lake reports section, providing as much or as little info as they desire.  A simple report providing the lake, date, and what was caught (or not caught) would be helpful. You optionally may share other information to help fellow fishermen and women but that is up to you.  AZCA members may also provide  more detailed reports in the members-only forum as a benefit of AZCA membership.

However, the site may pose challenges for less tech-savvy individuals, as many other websites now offer more user-friendly mobile apps with notifications that capture people's attention. As a result, we are considering an upgrade to our site, including the development of a mobile app for convenience. However, there are no concrete plans in place as to when this might happen. It's worth noting that we do have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/arizonacrappie), but it is not currently used for lake reports or public posts, as there are already plenty of other Facebook pages dedicated to that purpose (e.g., AZ Crappie Fishing, Crappie Fishermen of Arizona, FishAZ, AZ Anglers, etc.).

Many fishing reports on social media only consist of pictures of crappie without providing details. Some individuals may be hesitant to share too much information for fear of their secret fishing spots being exposed and no longer being productive. Others believe that people should put in the effort themselves instead of relying on others' work for their own gain.

Personally, I became interested in crappie fishing in Arizona thanks to people sharing information here about how and where (in a general area) to catch crappie at Roosevelt Lake back in 2010. I am grateful for their willingness to share that information.

That being said, for those who prefer live audio/video reports of crappie fishing in Arizona on Facebook, you can tune in to "Crappie Fishermen of Arizona" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/169460015028474) on Mondays at 7:30 PM weekly. This report features Randy Howton (Slipbobber72, AZ Crappie Sniper Guide Service), Cameron Giliam (Crappie Whisperer), Matthew Picklesimer (AZLeadWorks), and others who provide reports on various Arizona lakes. The live feed can last an hour but in there is the fishing report for all Arizona lakes.  It would be great to have a text version of that report to share here for those who are not on Facebook and I'm seeing if somehow we can get that (unfortunately, I cannot attend the live feed every week).

Another new source of Arizona crappie information is Randy Howton's podcast called "True Lies Podcast," which can also be found on Facebook. To view/listen to the content, you would need to like and follow their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/trueliespodcast. The first episode features Randy and three others discussing how Livescope has affected crappie fishing, and can be viewed at this link: https://fb.watch/k8UO9m_c50/.

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
Re: Crappie Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 08:07 PM »
I've been on here for years. Not into social media.  Use to share my fishing reports but since most reports are in a members only section, why post as a nonmember? 

Offline apenland01

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 03:10 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I'm not on social media other than LinkedIn, so I don't pay attention outside of my bass and crappie message boards.  If it weren't for these boards, I wouldn't have any connection to other like minded people....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 04:15 PM »
Yeah I wasn't quite sure the traffic to our site still looking for fishing reports.  I was thinking of writing a script or something to scrape info from Facebook crappie fishing pages and post into a message board here but it's somewhat complicated, and I'm pretty sure Facebook wouldn't want me doing that anyway (they would block the script from working since they want you on their site and not using some script).  But, I talked with the folks who run that live feed and Matthew (AZLeadWorks) is gonna see about sharing summarized or shortened text version of the report weekly. If he does that, I'll share it here.  And I'll try again to get AZCA members to post not only in club-only discussions but the public forum as well.  There is some unique and helpful info by both club-members and visitors of the site that can be shared.

It's good to hear there are a few folks out there not on social media, in which we can provide some beneficial info here, albeit on a dated website.

The issue of forums losing traffic to social media is not limited to just this site.  I've seen the exact same thing happen at the AZ mushroom society forum (https://www.arizonamushroomsociety.org/forum) as well.

People find it easier to share stuff using an app they have on their phone.

I use a desktop computer and have this site bookmarked, so it's very easy to find and post info here.  While I do share info via my phone it is easier on a desktop computer sometimes. It's likely over half the visitors on this site are not on desktop computers, rather using some sort of mobile (phone) device.

And of course you know, everything people post on social media is true right?  :icon_scratch:

Ha ha by the way we still have the best emojis -  every time I have this site open my kids laugh at the different emojis.   :alien: :headbang: :dontknow: :violent1: :bootyshake:

Offline apenland01

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 08:01 PM »

It's good to hear there are a few folks out there not on social media, in which we can provide some beneficial info here, albeit on a dated website.

The issue of forums losing traffic to social media is not limited to just this site.  I've seen the exact same thing happen at the AZ mushroom society forum (https://www.arizonamushroomsociety.org/forum) as well.

People find it easier to share stuff using an app they have on their phone.

I use a desktop computer and have this site bookmarked, so it's very easy to find and post info here.  While I do share info via my phone it is easier on a desktop computer sometimes. It's likely over half the visitors on this site are not on desktop computers, rather using some sort of mobile (phone) device.

And of course you know, everything people post on social media is true right?  :icon_scratch:

Ha ha by the way we still have the best emojis -  every time I have this site open my kids laugh at the different emojis.   :alien: :headbang: :dontknow: :violent1: :bootyshake:

This is exactly right.  If I look at my phone too long, I get eye strain that causes double vision for hours.  I use my desktop for most everything, especially reading message boards, etc.  I can simply see a 26" inch screen much easier and with less eye strain than a 4" phone screen.  Thanks for acknowledging this fact....

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 08:06 PM »
I'm winning!!!!
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 06:46 AM »
put me in that group ain't got no FB can barely text I have our site bookmarked on my computer, only time I look at our website on my smart ass phone is if I need to post a pic can not figure out how to do it on home computer :-[
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 02:28 PM »
I'll chime in. So, when I joined there was no social media to speak of for crappie. I found this sight by word of mouth.

Fast forward to where we are, just about everyone uses social media now. In our small world of crappie fishing out here there are this site to post, or mostly Facebook groups to post.

It's so easy to post through Facebook. Your pics are on your phone ,and you just drop them into your post.

Here it's quite a process, although manageable,  it takes more effort. That's why I think you've seen the drop off.

I only use my phone or tablet to post on here. I can't even remember the last time I fired up my desktop.

Everyone has their comfort zone. And most people don't like change. Unfortunately most people are transitioning to mobile media of some form
SEA.....HAWKS....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal