Author Topic: Roosevelt 4/18,20,22  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
Roosevelt 4/18,20,22
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:34 PM »
We fished three mornings this past week with modest success. You can get the stats on the Azbasszone but I'll give the particulars here. Lately I have been catching more crappie on the one and two inch Berkley Gulp minnows than on live minnows by three to one. Plus it's hard to keep live minnows alive this time of year. On my upper 1/16th oz jig I put a 2" Kalin grub (John Deere working best this week) tipped with a one inch gulp minnow. On my lower Roadrunner (or a jig I'm working on) I put a two or three inch Gulp minnow (no grub). Since I have had a lot of minnows stolden, I fasten a #12 red treble hook with a three or four inch piece of Fireline to the jig and stick one barb of the little treble in the tail of the minnow. Since doing this a couple of weeks ago we have brought in 11 crappie with nothing but the little red treble hook in their mouth!. ...........Art

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Roosevelt 4/18,20,22
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:56 PM »
So Art, on that bottom Roadrunner are you nose hooking the Gulp minnow or threading it all the way onto the jig?  I'm assuming your nose hooking it by the length of the stinger hook.  Interesting idea....thanks!

LLL

wadefisherman

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Sounds like a nice setup, I think the trailer hook is a great idea.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I am threading the gulp all the way on. It's too hard to tie two palamar knots on two inches of line. I have the treble on one end and a little gold snap tied to the other end.......Art

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25 AM »
after i got short bit at sc a bunch. i tied some size12 red stingers for scf on a couple jigs to make sure that didnt happen. just tying cinch knot off hook. course i didnt get bit at all so that didnt work. tjis is what i catch most of my eyes on at apache the size 12 in the tail of the nightcrawler.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal