Author Topic: Striper fishing after the meeting  (Read 11533 times)

wadefisherman

Striper fishing after the meeting
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I setup at the breakwater on scorpion bay and fished throughout the night. Brought in about 20 nice fat stripers up to 4-5 lbs. I did not get a single dink all night long. Fish were close to the bottom in 90' of water.

Offline sandman

Re: Striper fishing after the meeting
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Brian had the mojo working Sat. night. We fished right beside him and didn't catch squat :)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Must have been his secret bait. :)

I got to the lake pretty late... mostly due to the fact that at 6pm I still had no intention on going fishing that night. The plans that were set up fell through and I decided to find some people on my Facebook to go around 6:30. :)
Had everyone at my house by 9 and was at the lake by 10. Got on the water and attempted to find anyone out there to see who I could reach. Got in touch with mrokusek who was fishing the tires with no luck. Decided to head up north and find a mouth of a cove to fish. Got in touch with Fish Hawk and LLL who were fishing Coles and they were kind enough to let me "anchor" up near them. After an hour of trying to get things situated in my boat with people who haven't been fishing in years, losing an anchor and not having enough weight to pull down my light we finally got fishing. One of the n00bs (newbies) in my boat caught our first fish immediately. Everything was slow from then on out. Managed 7 dinks total from 11(ish)-3.

My next trip will be planned much better!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:08 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Way to go Brian. You found the lucky spot. You never know where they will show up. You must have smelled them out.
GOD BLESS

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33 AM »
The hardest thing is to know when it's time to pack up and move!  Your having fun catching a lot of rats - then catch a 3 pounder and decide to stay just a bit longer.  Your justifying it by telling yourself the bigger Stripers are moving in.  They tease you an hour or so later by boating another 3 pounder.  Guess you just need to realize that you need to move till you find the class size your looking for.  Easy now to second guess yourself - should we of moved around the corner to the mouth of Humbug?  Maybe kept Brian & Sandman company in Scorpion Marina....

And yes, it was almost like watching the keystone cops on the water!  Good thing we had our gravity recliners onboard for the after dark entertainment.  Just kidding Phreek!

LLL
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:02 AM by cousinlll »

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:08 PM »
I'm surprised none of of us fell overboard. That would have made the rest of the night just wonderful! :)

Offline eo3510

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:13 AM »
losing an anchor

I was the one that asked if you needed an anchor. I did ok that night. Tried not to hoot it up too much when I got a nice on on.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I was the one that asked if you needed an anchor. I did ok that night. Tried not to hoot it up too much when I got a nice on on.

Oh okay. Cool. I would say it was a good thing I had a spare anchor, but that one didn't really do anything for me I just floated around all night. I'm probably gonna get a larger anchor because I rarely have success with anchoring my boat up. The thing's just a giant bubble and sits deep in the water.

Yeah, I noticed I didn't hear a whole lot of "hooting" that night so I just assumed everyone was doing just as "good" as we were. haha Were you using cut or full chovies or some larger jigs? I got into nothing big so I might try larger bait next time. Big bait = big fish, right? :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:07 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline eo3510

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:12 PM »
I switched to whole anchovies which kept the dinks at bay for a while. By 2:30 they completely took over. Caught about 15 between 16-22" and another 10 or so at sunrise.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:31 AM »
16-22" isn't bad at all. I don't think my boat caught one that was over 12"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal