Author Topic: Slip Bobbers and Fishing Gear Stores  (Read 7642 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Slip Bobbers and Fishing Gear Stores
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:22 PM »
My dad gave me a slip bobber that has a clip on the end that allows it to be put on and taken off without cutting your line.  I'd like to use these types on my kids poles for quick changing between fishing with and without bobbers.  I couldn't find them at Bass Pro or Sportsman's, and Cabelas is too far away.  I also am annoyed at the neon green tie strings that you tie on the line and they are supposed to stay there at the depth you want the bobber to slide to.  Mind keep moving or loosening up.  I'm tightening as tight as I can get them but I don't know what's causing them to slide.  I'm using mono 8lb line.  I only later found out my kids were fishing at 2' of depth when I wanted them to be at 10'.  I've had better luck with the red slip bobber holders (whatever they're called but they may be a rubber-like material and I think they come on a wire or something).  It's been awhile since I've used them but Sportsmans didn't have them.

What I'm really asking is what's the best fisherman's store that has everything so I don't keep getting let down going to these stores and they don't sell what I'm looking for.   Also, any slip bobber insight or tips would be appreciated.  Shouldn't be rocket science here. I apparently have problems with weights.  I put on a small split shot and it didn't seem like after the cast that the bobber was sliding up to the part where it should stop. I put on one more split shot and the bobber ends up under the water the whole time, barely visible.  Uhhhg.  How naive I was to think I'd get all this stuff pre-rigged before the trip and they'd all work like I remember them!

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
Re: Slip Bobbers and Fishing Gear Stores
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27 AM »
look online. cab bps and landbigfish.com are my gotos.but theirs all kinds of momandpops with one or two products, i got planer bobbers at one. plus when brown comes with your order its like christmas.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:32 AM »
BPS is a long drive and cabelas does not seem to carry stuff for AZ fishing, I have had good luck at sportsmans warehouse on I-17 and Yorkshire and there is one in Mesa, they have numerous types of slip bobbers and riggings, jig heads and kalin crappie jigs etc. the only problem is when there is a rush on a particular color like when Billy mentions BBC on the g and f fishing report things sell out quick
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38 AM »
What I'm really asking is what's the best fisherman's store that has everything so I don't keep getting let down going to these stores and they don't sell what I'm looking for.

Its impossible to carry everything and no way of knowing what a customer might want. But if there's something in the BPS catalog (or online) that we don't have in the store let me know and I'll get it for you with no shipping charges.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:28 AM »
the bigger question is whats the best slip bobber or other strike indicator as the prissy flyrodders call bobbers. do yall really think the drag of a bobber being pulled under actually spooks a crappie. the drag of your sinker has to pull as much as a boober going down. boober. boober. that new word has some kind af attraction, i dont get it. boober boober.

Offline sandman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52 AM »
The quills and other small boobers (now you got me saying it) set up in near neutral buoyancy also work to show when the fish lifts the bait. Common with crappie on a light bite.

Offline silver48

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Matt,

The rubber bobber stops I showed you at Alamo, I picked up at BPS.  They were only a couple bucks for about 20 or so.  I'll bring some to the meeting to let you have until you find some.

Frank

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:05 PM »
silver48, I just found the rubber bobber stops this afternoon at Bass Pro. I never found the bobbers that can be taken off without retying, but not a big deal really.  It was mainly for my kids' poles when I'm switching them back and forth.  My dad can get them in Loup City, NE, population 1400 and I'll get them over the 4th when I'm there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal