Author Topic: Lake Powell May 2011  (Read 7017 times)

wadefisherman

Lake Powell May 2011
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:06 PM »
We'll we made it back from beautiful Lake Powell. It was a very interesting trip to say the least. We were sand blasted for a few days and the 72' houseboat pulled loose during the storm, we had to put 5 anchors out on the windy side with 2 out on the other end. I don't know what we would have done if Joe was not there to take control of positioning and anchoring the boat. We ate very well and the fishing was not bad but not great. I caught my 1st Walleye and added a few to boot trolling harness's on bottom bouncers tipped with a night crawler. The smallie action was pretty reliable and the stripers were spotty. Many of the stripers were skinny and not worth filleting. I was spooning for stripers in 300' of water and had a good strike. I brought it up expecting a striper and low and behold it was a nice fat Walleye. Most walleye were caught either trolling or drifting worm rigs in 20-30' of water. I even caught a nice large mouth on a watermelon creature bait and was looking everywhere for a crappie but could not find any. I think I prefer the weather in September. Much more mild and killer top water action. I need some help with posting pic's, I need to reduce the size to make them fit.
[smg id=39][smg id=40][smg id=41][smg id=42][smg id=43][smg id=44]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:53 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Lake Powell May 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:03 PM »
The wind sounds like what we had up on the rim last week... only we didn't have a huge boat to keep tied down. Glad you were able to get it situated. Fishing sounds pretty good though. I would love to do some walleye fishing up there. Where is a good spot to generally fish for crappie at this lake?

Best way to reduce the size of the images is by using a batch photo resizer. They have a free one on Download.com called "Faststone". It works really well and is very simple.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Great report Brian!  Looking forward to seeing your pics.  Hey Joe, lets here your stories & pics!

I went to Powell for my first time at the end of April/beginning of June uplake in the Bullfrog/Halls Crossing area.  Pretty good Walleye bite for us.  Brought home some for the freezer.  Did a lot of casting for our Walleyes & did manage to come across some Crappie in the back of a cove - caught 10 & kept the biggest five.

Was a bit windy for us but certainly not as bad as you guys had!  Glad to hear you caught your first Walleye - pretty good eating don't ya think!!  Sounds like you've got this Walleye fishing figured out.  Thanks for your report....

LLL

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42 PM »
dang wind has been a pain all spring :wtf: great report Brian, lake powell can be unforgiving in the wind but a great place to fish, remember the first time we took a house boat after doing the tent and camping in 40+mph winds sure was nice to come back to a real bed, showers and meals without sand in them :lol_hitting: (the stripers at pleasant are healthy) :greengrin:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28 AM »
:lol_hitting: (the stripers at pleasant are healthy) :greengrin:

Hey Bruce, I forgot you don't like to check your messages and sent you one about Plez last week. :P

I used to do the houseboat thing every summer with my dad's company when I was in HS and shortly thereafter and LOVED it. My dad was primarily a bass fisherman so we only targeted stripers, smallies and large mouth. Until I joined TBZ I had no idea there was anything else in there. I think it wasn't until I joined this club that I learned there was crappie in that lake! I was so secluded to bass fishing growing up, sheesh! :)

Offline sandman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26 PM »
I would imagine that was a cakewalk for Joe based on some of his stories about Alaska fishing.

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49 PM »
After the "welcome to Oak Bay" sandblasting while setting the anchors, we had a couple days of so-so fishing. Walleye catch was just like last year, couple three per boat per day. Brian pops 4 on his first day ever on Walleye. WTG dude . The striper fishing was a big dissapointment to me this year, in this particular area they were kinda hard to get and mostly not very good quality. Several attemps to get something going only ended up fizzleing out after about 4 fish or so for an hour of chumming on small schools passing under the boat.  The smallies were there but my boat didn't go after them hard yet.  Then it got windy....sandman, the only cakewalk was when we walked out in 60-80kt gusts to redo the anchors and when we got done we were caked in sand. I did have a couple pairs of goggles that came in handy. And i did have some flashbacks of a particular episode in Alaska, a place called Puale Bay on the Alaskan Peninsula. After many attempts to get a good hold on the bottom...it finally grabs a nice rock in an otherwise sand/shell bottom. Then when I was just about to close my eyes and get some much needed sleep... A gust of wind hits the boat, snapped my 5/8" anchor wire...lost a 150# Danforth and 45ft of studlink chain. It sounded like a 30.06 went off in the wheelhouse. No spare and pitch black, we started the 13hr run across the Shelikof Strait, back to Kodiak in 45kt winds with freezing spray. Anyway, back at L. Powell we had one more day of fishing after the blow. Scratched up a few more smallies and I caught my second Walleye on a Morning Dawn Dropshot rig. On a side note: this Minn Kota iPilot motor has got to be the best piece of fishing gear I have for all around multi spieces in the lakes. Like having a virtual deckhand.
I did terrible with the attempt to get footage for our DVD out there but what I have and some of the other guys' clips and photos I'll try to put something together.
Brian, You got any photos?

wadefisherman

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I posted on Waynes words and he added some pics I sent up.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43 AM »
If you're not sure how to add them here you can always send them to me to post. Only problem is if they're too big I can only get a few at a time since Cox limits email sizes.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Thanks for sending the pictures. I was able to get them loaded onto the site and then in this post a few minutes ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal